Keeping Track of Passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Track of Passwords

Anyone got any ingenious ways of keeping track of your passwords?

I keep my updated passwords hidden within a text file, with acronyms for the website and hints about the password.

Would probably be better to keep it offline.

why don't you just use variations of the same password? Unless you're concerned someone will crack it and then make bad reviews on your Yelp account.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      why don't you just use variations of the same password? Unless you're concerned someone will crack it and then make bad reviews on your Yelp account.

That's what I do ... but I've even lost track of that. The sites I hate are the ones that require 1 capital letter, and those are the sites that lock you out if you get it wrong 3 times. I've noticed the capital letter thing is starting to go away.

Comment

What I do definitely is not what is recommended, but here it is. I try to use the same pswd, or a variation of it, for everything. Same thing for ATM pin #s. It happens to be a combo of letters and numbers, so that req'mt is automatically satisfied. If caps are required, I capitalize the last one of the letters. If a special char is req'd, I'll use the same one each time, putting it at the end. If it requires me to change it every so often, I'll use the current month/year, and if it requires a certain minimum pswd length, I'll append my regular pswd onto the month/year. This method makes it unnecessary to write down my pswds, and I usually dont have a problem forgetting my pswd, altho sometimes the different variations cause me to forget it for certain sites. I know this is not recommended, but I'll bet a lot of people do something similar. There are just too many pswds for everything under the sun to make it feasible to use the "recommended" methods.

Comment

Write them all down along with your account names/numbers and send them to me via e-mail. I'll watch them for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Write them all down along with your account names/numbers and send them to me via e-mail. I'll watch them for you.
            How available are you if I need one of my passwords sent to me? I can't wait more than an hour for any password.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              You PM box is full ... shucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                How available are you if I need one of my passwords sent to me? I can't wait more than an hour for any password.
                Once you send them to me, you'll never need them again! Trust me!!

Comment

Right now I am working through Tolkein's dwarves. That is 13 pass words.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I maintain about 20 unique passwords for about 60 sites, if you crack one of my baseball sites, you'll get them all, but it won't help for any of my gaming or banking sites
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Interesting that days after Johnny posts this thread we get hacked. Hhmmmmm.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                        Interesting that days after Johnny posts this thread we get hacked. Hhmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                        X