• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I came here for insights on Syrup...and nothing

I'm an idiot

you think you're an idiot ...

The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist
    On the morning of July 30, 2012, an accountant named Michel Gauvreau arrived at the Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve, housed in a huge red brick warehouse on the side of the Trans-Canadian Highway in Saint-Louis-de-Blandford, about two hours northeast of Montreal. Inside, baby-blue barrels of maple syrup were stacked six high in rows hundreds deep. Full, each barrel weighs about 620 pounds. With grade A syrup trading at about $32 per gallon, that adds up to $1,800 a barrel, approximately 13 times the price of crude oil.

The fiscal year was coming to a close, and the Federation of Québec Maple Syrup Producers had hired Gauvreau’s company, Veragrimar, to audit its inventory. Québec dominates the maple syrup market, and since 2002 the Federation has operated as a legal cartel, setting production quotas and prices, authorizing buyers, and stockpiling syrup. There were around 16,000 barrels here, about one-tenth of Québec’s annual production. The gap between the rows was barely wide enough to walk through, and the rubber soles of Gauvreau’s steel-tip boots stuck to the sugar-coated concrete floor.

He scaled a row of barrels and was nearing the top of the stack when one of them rocked with his weight. He nearly fell. Regaining his balance, he rattled the barrel: It was light because it was empty.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

It's a sticky subject, and I would rather not get involved.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

John ringo wrote a SF story where the aliens were stripping the worlds heavy metals selling 200 surplus electronics. Earth discovered taht Maple Syrup was a narcotic to them. A guy bought his way off planet with a pick up truck load.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          It's a sticky subject, and I would rather not get involved.
          At least you are not "waffle"ing on your position.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            At least you are not "waffle"ing on your position.
            If you give an otter a pancake...
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

IHOP that's the end of these syrup puns

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                IHOP that's the end of these syrup puns
                I am not "maple"able of not punning.

Comment

Working...
                X