Yeah so global warming huh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Not no effect. Funding will be confirmed for more studies. Color me skeptical of the independence of the results.

J

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Hodor.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        "Even the right-wing crazies no longer say climate change isn't real," said Michael Bloomberg, according to CNN. "They say it's natural, it's not business, not man-made. Why do they say that? Because in every one of their towns and villages and states and counties, they now have floods where they had droughts, they have droughts where they had floods, they have storms, they have tornadoes."

I guess you still have a few mega crazies holding on to the idea that climate change isn't real but you're looking pretty fucking stupid at this point for holding that viewpoint. You're still looking stupid for denying anthropogenic global warming, imo, but baby steps with the crazies are all we can expect, I guess.

As noted elsewhere, there isn't a position to take on global warming any more than there is a position to take on the temperature at which water boils.
        You realize that water boils at different temperatures in different places, right? It's a high school science experiment to get to boil from the heat of your hands.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• A great take on the warm fall we've had here (temps still well above freezing for the foreseeable future/forecast) on the front page of one of our commuter newspapers today ... and it's very true, we've noticed some of our city squirrels are getting ridiculously fat!!! Just another casualty of global warming!!!

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• ... and yet over here, whole towns underwater with record levels of rainfall.

Cumbria floods: at least one killed as 45,000 homes remain without power

Probably all just coincidence ... nothing to do with climate change ... wouldn't want the imminent destruction of the planet to impact the profitability of my investment portfolio. So:

I believe they have imported 50 tonnes of sand from the Sahara to the Paris conference so that the world leaders can make their "wondrous" announcement in a way that properly reflects the reality. In case they run out of sand, brown bags will be provided.

Comment

• I was talking to a friend of mine who happens to be Milton Friedman's grandson - his father is David Friedman, also a prominent economist - and he said this:

I am very skeptical of [that climate change article]. My dad has looked at all of the research on economic effects of climate change, and "increased agricultural production" is the most definite positive. Plants love CO2; doubling CO2 increases crop yields ~30%, and as a result the earth has been getting greener despite humans chopping down plants, because of increased CO2. Climate change alarmists often try to dismiss this basic fact & find contorted ways to portray climate change as bad for agricultural, but it's just bogus. I don't know about the effect of temperature change, but I think it would be roughly neutral in that as many plants would benefit from the warmth as be harmed...or even positive - heat=energy=life.

On average, any change has costs, because current crops are optimized for current climate in their location. But CO2 increase increases crop yields without requiring any changes - it's just like magic extra food.

the "bad weather" effects are pretty small, I think they are most likely real but they are much smaller effects. Like, maybe storms increase 1%, or 1% of land gets droughts, vs. crop yields going up 10%+. Just different scales.

Not saying anti-AGW people aren't biased, but this kind of thing is why I see climate change alarmists as biased too. My dad is an economist, not a climatologist, so all he can judge the sides on is their economics, and the climate change people have pretty bad/biased economic analysis, so the assumption is they are bad on other topics as well.

also keep in mind that most of the Earth's history is ice ages; during an ice age ​*the ice is a mile deep over Chicago*​, and not being in an ice age is a massive, massive benefit that completely overwhelms global warming concerns. Except that there is a definite possibility that ice ages are triggered by warming, that's how the cycle works, in which case warming is an utter disaster.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• 14 celsius here today & sunny. that's 57 of your degrees. I'm gonna go find a patio.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• It hailed on me last night, so that disproves global warming. thanks Obama!
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    14 celsius here today & sunny. that's 57 of your degrees. I'm gonna go find a patio.
                    When i was in high school learning metric, 50° was just a number. One day in 2005 I went outside when it was 50°. OMFG. It was 45° every single day. The extra 5° made an unbelievable difference.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      14 celsius here today & sunny. that's 57 of your degrees. I'm gonna go find a patio.
                      I saw a woman here in Sacramento yesterday with a parka, scarf over her face, gloves, and wool hat on. It was 64 degree and breezy outside.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• when we got to AFL it was 48 degrees in Phoenix and people were bundled up like they were going with Shackleton to the South Pole
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• 70 degrees here in VA and people were buying Christmas trees in shorts and flip flops this past weekend.
                          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• A town in North Carolina banned solar farms because they drain the sun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                              A town in North Carolina banned solar farms because they drain the sun.
                              Did they ban DHMO too?

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                                A town in North Carolina banned solar farms because they drain the sun.
                                wow ...

Jane Mann, a retired science teacher, said she was concerned the panels would prevent plants in the area from photosynthesizing, stopping them from growing.

Ms Mann said she had seen areas near solar panels where plants are brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her solar panels didn't cause cancer.

Comment

Working...
                                X