Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malcolm Gladwell on doping in sports

Good piece.

Eyesight can be improved—in some cases dramatically—through laser surgery or implantable lenses. Should a promising young baseball player cursed with normal vision be allowed to get that kind of corrective surgery? In this instance, Major League Baseball says yes. Major League Baseball also permits pitchers to replace the ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow of their throwing arm with a tendon taken from a cadaver or elsewhere in the athlete’s body. Tendon-replacement surgery is similar to laser surgery: it turns the athlete into an improved version of his natural self.

But when it comes to drugs Major League Baseball—like most sports—draws the line. An athlete cannot use a drug to become an improved version of his natural self, even if the drug is used in doses that are not harmful, and is something that—like testosterone—is no more than a copy of a naturally occurring hormone, available by prescription to anyone, virtually anywhere in the world.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Outside of quicker injury rehab times, what's the benefit to players or fans? I have a hard time buying that players in general would benefit from an arms race. If fans want HRs that much, juice the balls and/or bats. If it's about injury recovery, we're already in that boat - the incentive to cheat other players is too great.

Gladwell asks how baseball can be fair when some people have genetic advantages. First off, how did these unfair advantages ever hurt the game? Did anyone ever complain that genetic freaks like Ken Griffey Jr. or Greg Maddux tipped the balance too far for one team? It simply didn't happen. And doping doesn't necessarily even things out - we've arguably seen doping exaggerate existing genetic advantages - Barry Bonds was the son of one of the best power/speed guys ever, then jacked up into a Leifield version of himself.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I still think it is worse to cork a bat or scuff/dope a ball than to take steroids/HGH/drug that allows you to recover from doing extra workouts
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

look at what a cortisone shot to Coco Crisp has done to the A's fortunes over the past two weeks

Comment

Working...
        X