Going to New York!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to New York!

Hey I'm going to NYC for a week! Is there anything out of the obvious that I should do while there? I'm probably going to get a 7 day unlimited subway pass as soon as I can. Might just end up walking most places though as the weather should be very good.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Yea, subway pass is the way to go. It's funny because I never get any sightseeing in while I'm in town. I do a lot of walking, but between the Tout Wars draft spot, my hotels, and Foley's.

Depending on which airport you're going into, consider arranging a shared van. Cabs are crazy expensive and the subway doesn't run completely out to Laguardia as you have to take a bus to get to the subway. Cleaner in/out of JFK in that regard.

Comment

I'm flying in/out of JFK, probably will do airtrain/subway but maybe not if I bring more than a carry on.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Yea, it's an easy transition on the Airtrain to the subway. I took that into Brooklyn last time I was there and then into Manhattan the next day.

Comment

You need to go eat the mac and cheese at Beechers. http://www.beechershandmadecheese.co...s/NewYork.aspx

You need to go to the 9/11 memorial.

If you've never been to NYC you probably need to go someplace where you can go up high and get a sense of the whole city. I prefer Top of the Rock to Empire State Building.

If you need a place to eat, most of these are solid: http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/bad-day-foods-nyc

I also love Adrienne's pizza bar down by Wall Street, and you can walk down to Battery Park when you're done. Great views from Battery Park.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            You need to go eat the mac and cheese at Beechers. http://www.beechershandmadecheese.co...s/NewYork.aspx

You need to go to the 9/11 memorial.

If you've never been to NYC you probably need to go someplace where you can go up high and get a sense of the whole city. I prefer Top of the Rock to Empire State Building.

If you need a place to eat, most of these are solid: http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/bad-day-foods-nyc

I also love Adrienne's pizza bar down by Wall Street, and you can walk down to Battery Park when you're done. Great views from Battery Park.
            Adding Beechers and Adrienne's to my list of places to check out. Thanks!

Yes, definitely going to the WTC area and Rockefeller center.

I was even thinking about going to a Yankees game up in the nose bleed section.

Comment

Both Beechers and Adriennes are pretty close to subway stops. Definitely get the 7-day MetroCard or whatever they're calling it these days for unlimited subway rides.

If the weather is nice, Central Park is a must, I always like to go see Alice (http://www.centralpark.com/guide/att...onderland.html)

I'd rather try to get good seats at Citi Field for the same price as nosebleeds in Yankee Stadium, but that's your personal preference. The Mets are a little hopeless right now.

Comment

on a nice walking day, you can see dozens of famous landmarks and hot spots in each of two segments:

- one is a midtown trip, from Madison Sq Garden/Penn Station at 33rd and Seventh up through Times Square, 42nd Street, can go up Fifth Avenue and see shops, see Trump Plaza, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Plaza Hotel, and so forth en route to Central Park around 58th, which extends an amazing 60-70 blocks

- subway or cab ride downtown, see Greenwich Village, Wall St, 9-11 Memorial, Freedom Tower, Little Italy, Chinatown, etc on that walk all over
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Other ideas:

- Statue of Liberty (I dont know if they're still working on it or not)
                  - Ellis Island memorial
                  - If you're into jazz, or just want to go to a cool place w a great view, I recommend Dizzy's near Lincoln Center. It's on the 4th flr and has a great view of Central Park and the NYC skyline looking east. The music is likely to be very good too. Looking forward to going again soon myself.
                  Plenty of other great jazz venues, e.g. the Village Vanguard in Greenwich Village and Hotel Kitano on Park Ave around 40th St.
                  - I usually dont go to many museums but NYC has plenty of good ones, including Museum of Modern Art.
                  - Something I've always wanted to do but never done is walk across Brooklyn Bridge.

Enjoy your trip!

Comment

My first thought was the museums, but it depends what you're into. Some pieces of advice:
                    -Stay away from the bus tours. They're generally a rip-off.
                    -Walk quickly or get out of the way. New Yorkers walk at the speed of light compared to the rest of the country. You will be run over if you're in their way.
                    -Don't talk to anyone you don't think you'd want to be in a conversation with.
                    -There's two levels of pizza in NY. There's the $1/slice pizza (go Two Brothers over Ray's - both are ubiquitous) and then there's the Lombardis and Grimaldis. Both are worth experiencing.
                    -If you want a place to get really good beer AND really good food, check out Blind Tiger on Bleecker St. (blindtigeralehouse.com)
                    -Have a seat in Bryant Park for a while and watch all the working women walk by (if you're not with the SO).
                    -The only thing more ubiquitous than the panhandlers are the Starbucks.

Enjoy! Let me know if you want to get a beer while you're here. I could use a trip into the city.
                    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Is Mrs Box going?
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

[FresnoBob checks the remaining available credit on his business credit card]
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          Both Beechers and Adriennes are pretty close to subway stops. Definitely get the 7-day MetroCard or whatever they're calling it these days for unlimited subway rides.
                          Nice call on Adrienne's. That's about a minute and a half walk from my office and a lunch spot when I feel like eating way too much pizza. It's not your classic hole in the wall NYC pizza joint, but it's really good.

Comment

I keep wanting to get back to my native city, but somehow I haven't been there since the later days of the Carter Administration. Mainly, I want to see the places my parents lived, where they met, where they were married, where I was born, where my grandfather's store was, etc.

Maybe next spring.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

depends on how much you visit to know what's not obvious. I like the girl watching at Bryant Park, it'll make you bite your knuckles to they bleed. Lombardi's is a fantastic call. If you pick the Met Museum, it has a bar on the roof with nice sunset over the park views. If you choose Nat History, you could walk down to 72nd and ck out Strawberry fields, then walk East thru the park to the Boat House for a beer, the Alice in Wonderland Statue and the toy sailboat lake are just East of the Boat House, I liked seeing them both even before I had kids. From the sailboat lake you are a 3 minute walk, still going East to 5th Ave. You can walk down to 59th and see that crazy Apple Cube, or the Plaza, but I'd take a cab, or bus (your subway pass works on buses too) and go to St. Patrick's Cathedral. After a visit at the church you can walk across the street and see Roc Center, maybe pay the 25 bucks to go up top.

Comment

Working...
                              X