Chicago advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago advice?

Taking my boy to some baseball games this coming weekend in Chicago while the ladies of the family go shopping. Any advice on must-see things while there?

Gracias.

How old is he? What's he interested in?

The Museum of Science and Industry and the Field Museum are both exceptional. If he's into science or dinosaurs, those are great places to go.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

He's 11. Loves sports, baseball cards, X-Games... growing out of Legos but used to be rabid about them. I've heard the MSI is great, and sounds like it's right up his alley. He likes working with tools and trying to figure out how things work. Making plans and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
        He's 11. Loves sports, baseball cards, X-Games... growing out of Legos but used to be rabid about them. I've heard the MSI is great, and sounds like it's right up his alley. He likes working with tools and trying to figure out how things work. Making plans and such.
        What about for a 22-year-old traveling to Chicago for the first time to visit cousins, attend a rock festival, and drink (not necessarily in that order)? Sorry to bogart the threat, but he asked me what else he "must see" while in the Windy City and aside from Wrigley Field I drew a blank ...

Comment

Chicago is a great walking city - always walk around the millenium park area - lots of great not fancy food places too.

I do suggest the architectural boat tours - sounds pretty nerdy and expensive but actually is quite interesting -http://www.architecture.org/tours/boat-tours

Comment

Originally posted by Boone View Post
            What about for a 22-year-old traveling to Chicago for the first time to visit cousins, attend a rock festival, and drink (not necessarily in that order)? Sorry to bogart the threat, but he asked me what else he "must see" while in the Windy City and aside from Wrigley Field I drew a blank ...
            If you're going to Lollapalooza, just go to the show. It starts at like 11 am and ends at like 10 at night and you'll be baking in the sun all day and drinking that you'll be too tired to do anything by the end of the day. But, if you must, find out where the after shows are because a lot of the bands play small venues after the festival and put on some spectacular performances.

Worry about sightseeing a different time.

Comment

It's hard to believe I haven't lived here in a decade, here's what I remember:

Sites
              Art Institute (one of the best museums in the world IMO, awesome impressionist collection)
              Architecture boat tour
              Millenium Park
              North Beach
              Northwestern Campus (Evanston is pretty cool)
              Hancock Tower (don't pay for the top floor, go to the floor below and buy a drink for same price and same view)

Music
              Ravinia (check listings, great outdoor concerts family friendly)
              Buddy Guy's legends (Blues)
              Green Mill (jazz, great organ trio plays Saturday nights midnight-5 am)
              Kingston Mines (blues)

Food (roughly in my order of importance)
              Lou Malnati's pizza (a bit lighter than most deep dish places, butter crust is key), Edwardo's is another good one with more traditional style deep dish
              Chicago hot dog (there are dozens, find one that's crowded)
              Gaylord (Indian, catered our wedding)
              Manny's (Jewish Deli)
              Penny's Noodles (Thai, one near Wrigley)
              Great burrito joint underneath the Addison L stop (which is where you get off for Wrigley)
              Italian Village
              Tozi (Korean, I haven't been but my Korean buddy recommended it)
              Pita Inn (Mediterranean, in north suburbs but one of my faves)
              Chicago Brauhaus (German)
              Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba (Tapas)
              Last edited by DMT; 07-29-2013, 11:41 AM.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                Chicago is a great walking city - always walk around the millenium park area - lots of great not fancy food places too.

I do suggest the architectural boat tours - sounds pretty nerdy and expensive but actually is quite interesting -http://www.architecture.org/tours/boat-tours
                +1 on the architectural boat tour. It was one of the coolest things we did "touristy" while living out there. Wife says any of the museums (I've been to none of them!), and the Brookfield Zoo is pretty cool, though costly. There is a free zoo at Lincoln Park, but it's not near as good. Chicago also has some great ethnic areas also...maybe check one of those out. Wife also says Navy Pier (shopping and a ferris wheel)
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Shedd Aquarium is really good, too

also if you're going to Wrigley, take the El. most of the people on the train are liable to be Cubs fans headed there, which is cool for a kid to see. and you see the ballpark as the train is arriving, also cool.

Navy Pier is good for walking around, they have basics like mini-golf and that's where the boat tours are. all different types and speeds, including speedboat.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The #1 thing to see in Chicago is an Italian Beef sandwich in your hand....
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      The #1 thing to see in Chicago is an Italian Beef sandwich in your hand....
                      PORTILLOS for the beef samich - I believe Portillos Jumbo Chili Dogs are among the best I have eaten.

Baseball Yards - Wrigley is a shite-hole but a bucket list go to for a game

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                        PORTILLOS for the beef samich - I believe Portillos Jumbo Chili Dogs are among the best I have eaten.

Baseball Yards - Wrigley is a shite-hole but a bucket list go to for a game
                        If you're going to hit up a Portillos for an Italian Beef or Chili Dog (I do recommend them as a place to stop) get a Chocolate Cake Shake. Friends of mine always called it a "Crack Shake". Imagine a milkshake that the chocolate flavor comes from throwing a piece of chocolate cake in the blender. MMMmmmmmmsooooo good.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                          Taking my boy to some baseball games this coming weekend in Chicago while the ladies of the family go shopping. Any advice on must-see things while there?

Gracias.
                          I live 15 minute walk southeast of Wrigley and can help. But amazing job by DMT already.

1) Activities
                          a) Agree Museum of Science and Industry is a must-see; he'll love it. Crowded on weekends so get there when it opens. Consider architectural tour of Hyde Park if there's one available; Hyde Park is near MSI. Or just do one of the downtown architectural tours.
                          b) Field Museum+Shedd Acquarium, which are near each other, but order tix ahead of time for any special exhibit at Shedd.
                          c) A cheaper option than Field+Shedd is Lincoln Park Zoo + Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum + North Avenue Beach, which are also near each other (North Avenue Beach really stretches from North Avenue to Fullerton).

2) Food:
                          a) On the day you go to the game, eat at at Lou Malnati's Pizza - Chicago is known for pizza and Lou Malnati's is a good choice; 958 W Wrightwood. Deep dish pizza takes at least 30 minutes to cook. 1.25 miles due south of Wrigley along Sheffield...or, if you have less time, eat at Al's Italian Beef. Chicago is also known for Italian beef and Al's is the most authentic place for it. 3420 N Clark. Two blocks south of Wrigley on Clark.
                          b) Chicago also is known for different ethnic restaurants; if you have time and wish to expand his horizons check out any of these three neighborhoods Pilsen (Mexican), Devon Street (Indian/Pakastani) or Broadway/Argyle (Vietnamese/Thai). Be careful w Pilsen at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone View Post
                            McGee's or Duffy's or Joe's on Weed Street would be bars for people in his age group to drink Thursday night before the music festival this weekend.

Comment

for a 22-yr-old, while there are some tourist traps in the Rush and Division St area (don't knock it, I met my future wife there!), there's also plenty going on. if they just follow the trial of desirable flocks of girls, they'll land in the right place...
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X