Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just goes to show how important a name is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just goes to show how important a name is....

For the book "Cuckoo's Calling":

Before Rowling's identity as the book's author was revealed, 1,500 copies of the printed book had been sold since its release in April 2013, plus another 7,000 copies of the ebook, audiobook and library editions. The book surged from 4,709th to the 1st best-selling novel on Amazon after it was revealed on 14 July 2013 that the book was written by Rowling under the name "Robert Galbraith".

Fucking ridiculous.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

The ridiculous thing is the writing under a false name to start with. Way too much ego to see if one can be a best seller under two names. Who has time for this?

Who does she think she is Steve?

Comment

Let's face it, some people like to read any book done by their favorites. My wife loves reading James Patterson (and the 459 people he "writes" with). I have some favorites also. I don't blame people for finding out she wrote it and buying the book. Pull this off enough times, and it will become a tired act, and she'll lose large chunks of her fan base.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

What's ridiculous is that the book didn't sell under the nom de plume, but when it was revealed Rowling wrote it..oh my god i have to have it.

People are such sheep.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          What's ridiculous is that the book didn't sell under the nom de plume, but when it was revealed Rowling wrote it..oh my god i have to have it.

People are such sheep.
          It's amazing how you are able to come up with sensible conclusions that I agree with but with the most ridiculous and unrepresentative examples.

I agree with Pogues that this was a total ego trip on her part and I could care less about her book. I only read a couple of the Harry Potter series (while traveling). And yes people tend to follow trends, this is news?

How in any way is it ridiculous that an unknown author doesn't get press or wide distribution? It's pretty much a universal truth among published authors is that they were rejected dozens of times before getting their first book deal. So here is a person no one has ever heard of and thus no one bothers to buy or read her book. Then, it's revealed that was actually J.K. Rowling, and people's curiosities were piqued so they bought the book. BFD. Out of all the stories of the day to show how ridiculous we are as a species, this is the one you decide to highlight? And you're a fucking librarian, you should be happy people still care enough to read books and keep you employed. You're acting like you've never opened a forwarded viral video or picture or story. And if you have, then baa baaah, you're a sheep too.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

People are such sheep.
            Writing books is all luck anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Comment

People are such sheep.
                Same thing happened with Stephen King and the Bachmann books

Comment

I don't think it was an ego trip at all. The opposite. She published under a pseudonym in order to get away from the limelight, and had planned to write a whole series of novels based on the main character. The book was originally well received by the critics, even if it didn't sell bucketloads.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    It's amazing how you are able to come up with sensible conclusions that I agree with but with the most ridiculous and unrepresentative examples.

I agree with Pogues that this was a total ego trip on her part and I could care less about her book. I only read a couple of the Harry Potter series (while traveling). And yes people tend to follow trends, this is news?

How in any way is it ridiculous that an unknown author doesn't get press or wide distribution? It's pretty much a universal truth among published authors is that they were rejected dozens of times before getting their first book deal. So here is a person no one has ever heard of and thus no one bothers to buy or read her book. Then, it's revealed that was actually J.K. Rowling, and people's curiosities were piqued so they bought the book. BFD. Out of all the stories of the day to show how ridiculous we are as a species, this is the one you decide to highlight? And you're a fucking librarian, you should be happy people still care enough to read books and keep you employed. You're acting like you've never opened a forwarded viral video or picture or story. And if you have, then baa baaah, you're a sheep too.
                    Thanks for making my decision to quit this site that much easier.

Totally uncalled for response filled with such vitriol towards someone you don't even know. Happens way too much on this site.

No wonder there are but a small group left here.

Bye.

Comment

Well, that, and Steve is here.
                      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Totally uncalled for response filled with such vitriol towards someone you don't even know. Happens way too much on this site.

Bye.
                        Come on Mith! You yourself have said you post things to mix it up. Not everyone is going to respond the way you (or I over the years) would prefer.

If you need a rest just hang out in the real fantasy baseball section and take a break from the Sports Bar.

Comment

Bye.
                          What's my prize?

No wait, let's a have pity party for poor ol' Mith, who just tries to get along with everyone. Gimme a break dude. I may not know you, but I know your RJ persona, and if his skin is that thin, then maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
                            Well, that, and Steve is here.
                            I don't understand this.
                            Are you saying there is a small crowd here (and I am most of the crowd).
                            Are you saying there is a small crowd here (because I've run everyone else off)
                            Are you saying there is a small crowd here (they've stayed because I'm here)

I hope it's not the second one.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Yeah...just give a crap load of monkeys typewriters and eventually they'll write something amazing. Or at least something you might think nullnor posted.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X