Picking figs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking figs

They are a little late this year, but the crop is coming in.

do any of you have fruit trees?

J

fresh figs.jpg
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

We found a recipe that recipe that seems to be what fig newtons were copied from. Please note, SpaghettiO's are also a copy.

Fresh Fig Newtons

6 fresh figs; washed, dried, and quartered
    zest of 1 lemon (about a tablespoon)
    ½ cup packed brown sugar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1½ cups all purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1½ sticks of butter, softened
    1½ cups brown sugar
    1 tablespoon orange zest
    2 eggs
    4 teaspoons vanilla

In a medium-sized heavy-bottomed saucepan bring the figs, brown sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla to a boil, stirring as needed.
    Reduce the heat and simmer for 40-50 minutes, occasionally smashing the larger pieces with the back of a fork and stirring. They will cook down and thicken with a jam-like consistency.
    Remove from the heat and cool completely. This fig filling can be made ahead stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
    Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper or foil and then butter it. Plenty of butter.
    In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
    In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until it’s fluffy. Add the orange zest and eggs. Beat on medium until the dough comes together. Then stir in the vanilla.
    Gradually incorporate the flour mixture with the mixer on low. The dough will be sticky.
    Butter two “pan-sized” pieces of foil or parchment paper, measure 1½ cups of the dough out, and roll or press the dough in between the pieces. This will be your top crust, so get it into a rectangle-ish shape if you can. Put it in the freezer.
    Press the remaining dough into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes. It will be pretty and golden brown.
    Spread the fig filling across the baked crust and then get the top crust out of the freezer.
    Gently peel the foil or paper away from the frozen cookie crust and then place it over the top of the fig filling. Pat any stray crust pieces into place.
    Bake for another 20-25 minutes. Watch it closely! The top will turn a nice golden color.
    Let the whole thing cool completely in the pan, on a wire rack if you have one. Once cooled, lift the foil out of the pan and slice into squares.

I would add a 1/4 tsp or thyme or rosemary to the flour before sifting. Getting the fat to room temperature is very important. if it is cold, it will not take the flour nearly as well. that said, the shortbread is fairly standard. Any good recipe will work.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Cherries are coming in here.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Almost as good as ficking pigs.
        The first time I saw this thread I read 'Fucking Pigs'
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          The first time I saw this thread I read 'Fucking Pigs'
          I'm gonna steal Steve's line and say "That'd be a good name for a band".
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I suppose that is better than the Pheasant Pluckers.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

In addition to a full vegetable garden, I have a 4-in-1 apple tree, a kumquat tree, a pomelo tree, and a hedge row of blueberries. I also have lemons, limes, tangerines and plums over the neighbors fence in a share-and-share-alike-relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                I suppose that is better than the Pheasant Pluckers.

J
                Are you a turtle?

A thread about brown bears and fig pickers in the same week, that can't be a coincidence, right?

Where's the thread about fat, fickle females?
                Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Last week my mum (mom ... birth giver etc) calls me with a strange story. Kids were going around the streets collect for the "bands" ... not an unusual occurrence at this time of the year. Thing was, they were making a strange request. According to her, they were collecting for "fags and drink" (cigarettes and alcohol) for the band. Despite this, she gave them money anyway. My response was "why did you give a bunch of kids money for 'fags and drink', even if it wasn't for them".

So an hour later I get another call. She had spoke to her neighbour, and completely misheard the request. They were collecting for "flags and water".

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                    Are you a turtle?

A thread about brown bears and fig pickers in the same week, that can't be a coincidence, right?

Where's the thread about fat, fickle females?
                    Brown bears? It was about a very large butterfly, which happened to be in the tree outside the window.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      Brown bears? It was about a very large butterfly, which happened to be in the tree outside the window.

J
                      I was referring to johnny's bear video thread: http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...almon-Swatting

Am I missing/spoiling the joke? You had to be referring to the drinking game when you said "Pheasant Pluckers", no?
                      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                        In addition to a full vegetable garden, I have a 4-in-1 apple tree, a kumquat tree, a pomelo tree, and a hedge row of blueberries. I also have lemons, limes, tangerines and plums over the neighbors fence in a share-and-share-alike-relationship.
                        What is a 4-in-1 apple tree?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          What is a 4-in-1 apple tree?
                          Enjoy five months of fresh, delicious apples. Our 4-in-1 Apple Trees produce from early summer right into fall.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                          X