Fireworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireworks

I'm headed down to D.C. tonight to catch the fireworks tomorrow night. I grew up in DC but have been living in Philly for the last 20 years. I've missed the fireworks on the DC Mall perhaps 5 times since 1974. Growing up, much of my extended family would drive down for it as well. We would drive in early, visit museums, walk around the Smithsonian Folk Festival, or just sit on a blanket and play cards until the sun went down. There were years it has been just me, years it has rained and years it was in the 100s with 99% humidity. I'm glad I went to every one of them. I had friends growing up that didn't make the 30 minute/commute into the city and I never understood it. I love fireworks and I love the energy in DC on the 4th.

Curious what everyone else is doing tomorrow.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

I bought $80 worth of "legal in San Bruno and Brisbane" fireworks yesterday....best 4th we've had in a while was when we were in Hawaii, where they take their fireworks very seriously (you can get great stuff in the supermarket!)
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Some of the small towns in my area have their own fireworks show..nothing huge or spectacular, but always fun .
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Going to the city for the fireworks over the Hudson.
        It will be different sitting on the middle of 37th street - sure the streets of NYC are clean.

maybe catching local ones in a countypark tonight

Comment

I'll probably be putting my 5 month old to bed, then we'll try to catch some of the fireworks on the Hudson from our view of Manhattan. There are a few buildings in the way, so I'm not sure what we'll actually be able to see.

Comment

I went to the DC fireworks in 1978, I believe it was. That's the only time I've been down. I find fireworks pretty boring these days. Since my family isn't around this week, I won't bother. Plus, I'm working tomorrow. Woo.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Nothing. Town fireworks are tonight, big family gathering is Saturday.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Picnic in Lake Geneva Wisconsin, followed by great Fireworks over the lake. 5th or 6th year doing this.

Comment

I'm the guy that people give fireworks to when they confiscate them from their kids, I recently got a bunch of Roman Candles, something I've never had before, how does one light these off? Do you hold it like a magic wand? Do you put them in a 40oz bottle and fire them into the air? Should I just hang on to them until we go up to the snow?
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

snow would be kinda neat. You could stick the end in the sand or something. I've never held one, but I know friends who use to have wand fights with them. I always put them in something.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      I'm the guy that people give fireworks to when they confiscate them from their kids, I recently got a bunch of Roman Candles, something I've never had before, how does one light these off? Do you hold it like a magic wand? Do you put them in a 40oz bottle and fire them into the air? Should I just hang on to them until we go up to the snow?
                      I always put them in a bottle. I do not want to burn my hands.

Comment

I occasionally truck out to The City to see the show over the Bay, but since I bought a house, I tend to stay home. I have several working-class Mexican families near me that get the good stuff, and the show from my front yard is just one step below a professional deal. It's quite astounding on the 4th, New Years and Cinco de Mayo. My dog and my cat don't appreciate it as much as I do, but what the hell, they aren't paying the mortgage.

Comment

Nothing going on in my neck of the Pine Barrens. No Fort Dix fireworks this year. Sucks.

There is a local one on Saturday in New Egypt. Too late as we are to hit Seaside Park that day.
                          Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

It is too freaking hot in Texas. Judith and I go to the New Years show.

One thing I always liked about my hometown (Wichita, KS) was the annual Concert in the Sky. The fairly decent local symphony would have a live concert in front of the convention center. Streets would be closed, so you could get close to 100,000 people on the plaza. The music tended to be very martial and the finale was always the Overture to 1812, complete with cannon. Some of the fireworks would be chosen to mesh with the music, though the big show was after the concert.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Our small town fireworks were tonight - just got home. Started out by having a cookout at my house with 3 daughters and spouses plus 5 grandkids . My mom(who just had Hip Replaced Less then 2 weeks ago) and Dad , Sister and Brother. We then go to my Middle Daughters house to watch the fireworks. Her House is just across from the park where they shoot it off . Now 1 of the grandsons came home with me to spend the night.

Comment

Working...
                              X