Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    Let me see if I get this...

WaPo contacted FaceBook, Google, Yahoo, etc, and asked if they knew about the program. The tech companies said no. WaPo ran an article saying they did know about it in spite of their denials. Then WaPo changed their story to say the tech companies didn't know about it.

Also... hello Mr. NSA guy, sorry this post is so boring

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      People bitching about their privacy = same people who hop on free wifi networks without a second thought.

Some serious disconnect there....
      I don't really see the connection. If you use someone else's connection, you know it's not your own and private. That's more a question of common sense usage practices i.e. it's one thing connecting to a public WiFi ... it's another putting credit card details etc on a public WiFi (even a 3G/4G connection).

If you choose to make your data and private information public that is your choice.

Comment

'Property' shall have no privacy rights. The American people are considered property.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          I don't really see the connection.
          Of course you can't. WiFi signals can't be seen with the naked eye.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Of course you can't. WiFi signals can't be seen with the naked eye.
            I can see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I can see them.
              I see what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                I see what you did there.
                You do realize that they are probably going to kick us out of this thread.

Comment

Its depressing seeing journalists so hamstrung. Barton Gellman was thinking about every word so as not to say the wrong thing. The press is supposed to be a key check and balance on the abuse of power. So the WaPo journalist wants us to believe that they indiscriminately want to data mine everyone's phone records, but he's not sure that they want to do the same thing with the even more revelatory Internet records. Please. Show some balls. The PRISM program was clearly an excuse to get into the servers. That's how they work to get what they want these days ... back doors. Think of the UIGEA which was smuggled into law on the back of the SAFE Port Act and never even specifically voted on. Democracy be damned.
                  Last edited by johnnya24; 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    You do realize that they are probably going to kick us out of this thread.
                    Yep

Comment

As someone who's studied this in the last five years (heavily so in the last two) for commercial purposes, I'm not really surprised by any of this. And I always assumed that the collection of cellular and Internet data were happening. The collection and parsing of big data is the new normal. Almost everyone in the developed world has a digital footprint. Currently my lab is working on using Android to gather information from Indian rice farmers in order to improve land-use issues. So even citizens of the underdeveloped world will have digital footprints.

I'm not sure what my opinion on any of this is, I just wanted to let you guys know that the Matrix is real.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post

I'm not sure what my opinion on any of this is, I just wanted to let you guys know that the Matrix is real.
                        you should have taken the blue pill...
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                          you should have taken the blue pill...
                          Nah... I'd rather know I'm getting screwed.

Comment

The T'urists are a comin' ... and BTW ... you're the terrorist ... or well potentially anyway ... you have a pulse after all and the capacity for independent thought.

Clapper admits secret NSA surveillance program to access user data

Obama's director of national intelligence attacks program's disclosure as 'reprehensible' and says it threatens security

The US has admitted using a secret system to mine the systems of the biggest technology companies to spy on millions of people's online activity, overshadowing attempts by Barack Obama to force China to abandon its cyber-espionage program.

As concern mounted over the sweeping nature of US surveillance, the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, confirmed revelations by the Guardian that the National Security Agency uses companies such as Google, Facebook and Apple to obtain information that includes the content of emails and online files.

Coupled with the acknowledgement that authorities had undertaken a seven-year program to monitor the telephone calls of potentially millions of people in the US, it has become clear that the Obama administration has embraced and expanded the surveillance regime began under President Bush.

Comment

Comment

Here's the actual Verizon court order ... makes for interesting reading.

The US government is collecting the phone records of millions of US customers of Verizon under a top secret court order. Read the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court order

Comment

Working...
                                X