NYC'ers -- advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
    My draft is Fri night. I may be able to do a quick pop-in. What time is the meetup?
    5p to closing

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      my company just moved offices and is having a Client Appreciation party Friday night. And gets who has to work until 7pm now? This guy.
      Most people aren't planning on getting there until 7ish anyhow.

Comment

ok, so who's in from these parts?

MoonlightJ
        Judge Jude
        UMjewboy?
        Revo?
        Hammer?

Foley's background - place around for about 90 years, only "Foley's" since 2004, after legendary sportswriter Red Foley.

per website:

"Foley’s is adorned with seats from Fenway Park, Tiger Stadium and Camden Yards, game-used jerseys, an orange Charley Finley Ball used in the 1970s by the Oakland A’s, more that 300 bobbleheads, and 1,800+ autographed baseballs, including nearly 100 Hall of Famers.........

Foley's unveiled the Irish American Baseball Hall of Fame, which includes former and current players, execs, journalists and entertainers. Created in 2008 with the blessing of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, it includes plaques honoring legendary manager Connie Mack, Yankee broadcaster John Flaherty, popular Mets & Phillies reliever Tug McGraw, slugger Mark McGwire, Kevin Costner, star of Bull Durham and Field of Dreams, and other inductees....

In March 2008, Foley’s gained worldwide renown by banning the song Danny Boy for St. Patrick’s Day and the entire month."

I'm 100 pct Irish, and I see no reason to boycott a place just for that reason

Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-16-2011, 09:31 PM.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I have a pair of "no Danny Boy" socks from there

I call the place Cooperstown's Cousin -- it is loaded with memorabilia. Frankly, it's the highlight of the weekend for me

Comment

sorry I wont be able to get there J. I was just reminded I have something to do at my church. Have a great time.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I'm sure Moonlight is still going strong, but UMjewboy and I got out of there at a more reasonable hour.

Great to FINALLY meet Jason, who is a lot of fun and has a voice for radio, which he does regularly. Sadly I got there too late to meet up with the soon-to-be Mrs. UMjewboy (or the woman he hired for the occasion, anyway. lol).

Took me exactly 35 minutes from arriving to getting a cold beer placed in my hands. First chance to order came at the 15-minute mark. Ok, I'm Irish so I should know, and this is not traditional at Irish bars. I should have been wary when I did not even see any sawdust on the floor.

I looked up the owner's name - "Shaun Clancy." Really?

Ok, so a waitress or two probably called in sick or something. A good time seemed to be had by all. btw, this was a chance for anyone to meet Ron Shandler and dozens of other fantasy baseball luminaries in their natural habitat. I've met Ron before, he's friendly but quiet. Probably bewildered by his cult status.

Nice touch was a list of appetizers named after past Tout Wars winners. Two of the three 2010 Tout trophies were handed out as well.

Another interesting twist: A SABR rep, I think the president, announced to the crowd (ok, gathering) that they sponsor Tour Wars weekend (I think). He also mentioned that he insisted on the MI and CI positions because at first it was just "two extra infielders" so of course you'd avoid picking a crappy backup 2B or SS. A smattering of boos for that one, which made him chuckle.
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-18-2011, 09:35 PM.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
              X