No announcement yet.

U2 song draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted Sunday Bloody Sunday but was happy to get the ones I did.

"Bad" didn't get airplay in Philly when Unforgettable Fire came out, but the live version on the Wide Awake in America EP started getting played after Live Aid. I've always preferred the live version, as the studio version seems too slow to me.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

With two more mega-iconic Joshua Tree songs still on the board, it was hard for me to pass them up, but that album is so deep that I'll be fine with whatever I end up with from it.

Comment

Welp, there goes the other one I was considering. Damn you Erik!

Not a huge fan of "Mysterious Ways" - it's a good enough song, but I usually turn the radio station when it comes on. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is another one of my favorites, great pick.

My U2 knowledge isn't all that deep, going to have to hit up Spotify around round 5 I'm guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I would have taken Bad if One weren't there. I love Where the Streets Have no Names live. The whole crowd looks like it's pulsing.
          And I would have taken One if Bad wasn't there.

Actually, I might had taken my ball and gone home if Bad wasn't there. I had to have it - it is indelibly burned into my soul.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I was able to get my #1 & #3 choices so I'm pretty happy with that.

I think Erik is probably the only other person in this draft that values Mysterious Ways as highly as I do. I was hoping to get it in round 3, but it wasn't even there for me in round 2. Nice pick!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              Stephen made his choice easy ...

2.03 Running To Stand Still (The Joshua Tree, 1987)
              And the snaking begins...
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Love Running To Stand Still ... glad I picked it up.

Comment

Great song and pick sir.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                    And the snaking begins...
                    Always reminded me of a classic era Springsteen song.

Comment

Joshua Tree getting molested.

Comment

An entire album side is gone within the first 11 picks of a draft. Gotta be a record.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                          An entire album side is gone within the first 11 picks of a draft. Gotta be a record.
                          Pun intended?

Comment

I took Mysterious Ways because it was one of the two most iconic songs from an incredible album and I figured it would be snapped up quickly if I didn't get it. But at this rate there won't be anything left from Joshua Tree by my next turn.

It was a tough call between that and Bullet the Blue Sky -- which is probably my favorite live tune of theirs. Just so intense.

Comment

You'll get no crap from me for picking "Beautiful Day". Easily a top 5 U2 song for me and I'd have picked it with my next pick for sure if it were still there.

RJ U2 Song Draft Results on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Pun intended?
                                Um, sure!

Damn, this draft is flying. At this rate we'll be done in mere days.

Comment

Working...
                                X