No announcement yet.

U2 song draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pretty sure I could have drafted Sheep's draft and been almost as happy as I am with mine. I'm a little light on "hits" I think. I'll throw Discotheque as an unlisted bonus track

Side I

The Three Sunrises
    A Sort of Homecoming
    One
    God Part II
    All I Want is You

Side II
    Zooropa
    Hawkmoon 269
    Red Hill Mining Town
    Hallelujah Here She Comes
    She's A Mystery To Me
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      I'm pretty sure I could have drafted Sheep's draft and been almost as happy as I am with mine. I'm a little light on "hits" I think. I'll throw Discotheque as an unlisted bonus track.
      Yeah, I think we have the same taste in U2. Nice 10th round pick with She's A Mystery To Me - I always liked that one, but it totally slipped my mind.

Edit to add: God Part II might have been a reach...
      Last edited by senorsheep; 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" was another fave, one to go.
        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
          Edit to add: God Part II might have been a reach...
          yeah, tactical error there.

Comment

• Story Time: The Time I Nearly Vomited On U2.

October 21, 1992. Zoo TV tour, Mile High Stadium, Denver. By virtue of my music store winning a product display and sales contest for Achtung Baby, I scored not only free tickets to the show, but backstage passes to meet The Biggest Band In The World!

So what happened the day of the show? My wife and I both got horribly ill with the stomach flu. Violent, endless spewing out of both ends. It was brutal. My wife tapped out early in the day. Not me. No way I was going to waste a once in a lifetime opportunity like that.

So I went to the show. I was dizzy from dehydration, and spend most of the actual show puking in a stall. And listening to the witty comments of observers who thought I was just some schmuck who couldn't handle his booze. I remember almost nothing about the actual concert, aside from them doing Bad and Bullet The Blue Sky back to back during a brief interlude when I wasn't throwing up. That was nice of them.

Mercifully, the show ended, so I proceeded backstage, where all the other lucky fans were waiting for the band to arrive. I was really struggling to maintain consciousness at that point, but I was determined to meet them. I was crumpled up on the floor in a corner of the room, alternately nodding off and snapping awake to run to the bathroom. The band took their sweet time making their grand appearance. A half hour past showtime, no U2. An hour... nothing. Some time around the 90 minute mark, I passed out for good. Finally, a backstage security guy woke me up and said, "Sir, I can't let someone in your condition be back here. You're going to have to leave." I was too tired to argue, and there was still no sign of the band, so I let him drag me out of there. And I drove home, stopping to puke out of my car multiple times.

The End
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Hey, I found the setlist for the show! Sounds plausible...

1. Zoo Station
              2. The Fly
              3. Even Better Than The Real Thing
              4. Mysterious Ways
              5. One ("Unchained Melody" outro)
              6. Until The End Of The World
              7. New Year's Day
              8. Dirty Old Town (Ewan MacColl cover - Larry on vocals)
              9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

B-Stage *****

10. Angel Of Harlem ("Annie's Song" snippet)
              11. When Love Comes To Town
              12. Satellite Of Love (Lou Reed cover)

13. Bad ("Old Man" and "All I Want Is You" snippets)
              14. Bullet The Blue Sky
              15. Running To Stand Still
              16. Where The Streets Have No Name
              17. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
              18. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
              19. Stand By Me (Ben E. King cover)

Encore:

20. Desire
              21. With Or Without You
              22. Love Is Blindness
              23. Can't Help Falling In Love (Elvis Presley cover)
              Last edited by senorsheep; 05-07-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• As a neutral observer, Long John is humiliating you guys.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Great stuff, guys.

Here are the songs I would have considered had we gone more than 10 rounds.

Boy -- Into the Heart, Another Time Another Place
                  October -- I Fall Down, Tomorrow
                  War -- Like a Song, The Refugee, Surrender
                  The Joshua Tree -- Trip Through Your Wires
                  Achtung Baby -- Zoo Station, Acrobat
                  Zooropa -- Lemon (yeah, I don't hate it), The First Time
                  Pop -- Gone, Last Night on Earth
                  All That You Can't Leave Behind -- New York
                  How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb -- All Because of You
                  Other -- Another Day (non-album single, 1980), Walk to the Water (B-Side of "With or Without You"), Race Against Time (B-Side of "Where the Streets Have No Name"), Night and Day (Red, Hot and Blue compilation), Lady with the Spinning Head (B-Side of "One")
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Wow, no love for "Night And Day"? I always dug that one... they took a Cole Porter song and made it sound like the end of the world. Lots of doomy synths, and I like doomy synths.

I have to admit I'm pretty impressed with U2's catalog after this draft. I don't like a lot of their classics, but classics they are.
                    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      As a neutral observer, Long John is humiliating you guys.
                      Much obliged.

Here's my album:

U239

3 Side
                      1. The Fool
                      2. An Cat Dubh
                      3. Gloria
                      4. Until the End of the World
                      5. Pride

9 Side
                      6. Party Girl (live)
                      7. The Electric Co.
                      8. When Love Comes to Town
                      9. Two Hearts Beat As One
                      10. One Tree Hill
                      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• I was struggling a bit at the end there. Couldn't justify picking any of the left-overs from War or The Unforgettable Fire. I did contemplate Tomorrow, which I believe went undrafted. I'll probably dig into some of the b-sides from the records I really like (Boy, War, Joshua, Actung).

It was pretty light at the end (for me anyway) ... and we had less than half the number of selections as the REM draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          Couldn't justify picking any of the left-overs from War or The Unforgettable Fire.
                          UFF is pretty barren after the first four songs and Bad, but there were three songs from War that I would have considered had we kept going.

Pre-UFF, most of their B-Sides were instrumentals. Here's a good one that wasn't (B-Side of New Year's Day)

My list still had 21 songs, and that's ignoring almost everything post-Zooropa.

Comment

• We stopped at the right time, I think. Very happy with my album.

I could have made one or two more selections. Did Stories for Boys go? I'd take that as my hidden track.

Stunned no one took their version of Helter Skelter from RnH.

Definitely no women in this draft as Trying to Throw Your Arms... wasn't taken either. "And a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."
                            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• I had figured I would take Helter Skelter for a while, but then I ran out of picks.

Comment

• Stories for Boys was taken by Stephen.

My hidden track would be Night and Day.

Comment

Working...
                                X