U2 song draft signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    As an outsider with no investment in the band's history I think it's a pretty dang good album.
    You hit the nail right on the head. If All That You Can't Leave Behind was your first serious exposure to the band, then there's no reason you can't enjoy it, or think it's pretty good.

My experience with the band is very different. For reasons I won't bore everyone with, I had a huge emotional connection with the band - they might be the only band with whom I would claim to have ever had such a connection. I found them at a point in my life where I was utterly miserable, and discovering their music helped get me through. It was a revelation to me - it helped me understand that there was an entirely different world outside the one in which I felt trapped, and gave me hope and determination to find it.

If you ever felt that way about U2, and then had to suffer the indignity of them consciously crapping on everything their music once meant to you, then it's a bit harder to appreciate ATYCLB and other music from the latter part of their career.
    Last edited by senorsheep; 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I got into them around when War came out and became a full-blown fanboy with Joshua Tree (as did the rest of the USA, it seemed). Everything from Boy through JT was in constant rotation on my cassette player. (HA!) I thought Rattle and Hum was a bit awkward and contrived in spots but they still showed songwriting chops. Achtung Baby was a revelation -- they had completely reinvented themselves and done it with a bunch of songs that were of the same quality as their earlier stuff. (You probably guessed that I am pretty high on it given that it produced two of my first four picks.) Zooropa didn't bother me too much, while it was slight compared to previous work, it expanded certain ideas from Achtung and the band was upfront about it being just a stopgap recorded during a break from heavy touring. Pop is where I stopped being a fanboy, partly because of the disastrous concert experience I detailed earlier, but also partly because of the record itself. They had evolved into the exact opposite of what turned me onto them in the first place. By the time of All That You Can't Leave Behind, my tastes had shifted elsewhere. I continued buying the records (all of the post Pop-ones are about half good songs, half meh, IMO) but was no longer interested in paying money to see them live.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• sorry, been here the whole time and reading stuff, just didn't notice I was up. Doh!
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Just wandered across this on Youtube. This is not even what Prince is famous for. It's worth waiting for ...

... the best Beatles song ... and a tribute to my favourite Beatle.

Comment

• Prince is indeed rather dramatic. I still like this tribute version better:

Comment

• Are there any good 1980's b-side compilations?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                Are there any good 1980's b-side compilations?
                The one my high school buddy and I made on cassette.

The second disc of the 2-disc version of The Best of 1980-1990 has most of the good ones.

The Best of 1980-1990/The B-Sides by U2 released in 1998. Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• The 1980-1990 Greatest Hits album came as a two disc set with one disc of hits and the entire 2nd disc is b-sides.

Disc: 2
                  1. The Three Sunrises
                  2. Spanish Eyes
                  3. Sweetest Thing
                  4. Love Comes Tumbling
                  5. Bass Trap
                  6. Dancing Barefoot
                  7. Everlasting Love
                  8. Unchained Melody
                  9. Walk To The Water
                  10. Luminous (Hold On To Love)
                  11. Hallelujah Here She Comes
                  12. Silver And Gold
                  13. Endless Deep
                  14. A Room At Heartbreak Hotel
                  15. Trash, Trampoline And The Party Girl

They also have released some interesting albums through the official fan club. One of with was called Medium, Rare and Remastered and it had a lot of interesting songs.

Comment

Just wandered across this on Youtube. This is not even what Prince is famous for. It's worth waiting for ...

... the best Beatles song ... and a tribute to my favourite Beatle.
                    Great song and great tribute. Not a huge fan of Prince - can get in to some of his songs - but I think he's always been publicly underrated as a guitarist because of his flamboyancy. Fact of the matter is, he can bring it.
                    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                      Great song and great tribute. Not a huge fan of Prince - can get in to some of his songs - but I think he's always been publicly underrated as a guitarist because of his flamboyancy. Fact of the matter is, he can bring it.
                      I always put Prince in my Top 5 guitarists of all time. Now, I'm no musical instrument playing expert, but I know what I like, and what he does is amazing to me.

It goes a long way in explaining the #3 overall pick in the concert draft. But I will admit the leaning back and being held up while still playing was a bit over the top.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Now I'm kicking myself for not doing this draft. 10 songs to go and you guys still haven't picked three of my top ones!

I'm doing the next one even if it's Women of Folk Music.
                        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                          Now I'm kicking myself for not doing this draft. 10 songs to go and you guys still haven't picked three of my top ones!

I'm doing the next one even if it's Women of Folk Music.
                          I'm struggling now ... Pm me for some ideas

Comment

• Sorry for the delay. I was at the vampire's office having them take blood.

Comment

Just wandered across this on Youtube. This is not even what Prince is famous for. It's worth waiting for ...
                              That was bad-ass.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• C'mon, folks. I've been accused numerous times of being a music snob, but you guys are letting ******* pass just because it was commercially successful and critically acclaimed?

Comment

Working...
                                X