Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best and Worst of 200 jobs: where does YOURS rank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and Worst of 200 jobs: where does YOURS rank?

CareerCast.com, a career website, ranked 200 jobs from best to worst based on five criteria: physical demands, work environment, income, stress, and hiring outlook. To compile its list, the firm primarily used data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and other government agencies.

10 best

1 Actuary
    2 Biomedical Engineer
    3 Software Engineer
    4 Audiologist
    5 Financial Planner
    6 Dental Hygienist
    7 Occupational Therapist
    8 Optometrist
    9 Physical Therapist
    10 Computer Systems Analyst

10 worst

191 Flight Attendant
    192 Roofer
    193 Mail Carrier
    194 Meter Reader
    195 Dairy Farmer
    196 Oil Rig Worker
    197 Actor
    198 Enlisted Military Personnel
    199 Lumberjack
    200 Reporter (Newspaper)

wait, WHAT?

see link for all 200 careers
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

3 - Best
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Strange, teacher's aide and elementary school teacher are both on the list, but secondary school teacher is not.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

could be worse, like if they didn't list a single job worse than yours

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Of the five criteria, newspaper reporter is pretty godawful for four of them (physical demands being the exception.) So I'm not entirely shocked.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            7 Occupational Therapist
            This is a good gig if you have the training. A friend who was a heavy partier/concertgoer 5-10 years ago was one, and whenever she wanted to go on tour with a band (or go on an extended coke bender), she would quit her job, knowing she could get hired somewhere else immediately whenever she felt like returning to work, because demand was so much greater than supply.

Comment

I tend to want the types of jobs that others think of as stressful. (I am not wholly immune to job-related stress, but I think I have a much higher threshold for it than most.) It's not always the case, but the "stressful jobs" tend to be the ones that challenge you intellectually on a daily basis and give you opportunities (and yes, corresponding moral obligations) to advance the common good.

Comment

If "boredom frequency" was one of the metrics, that list would be scrambled around quite a bit....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  10 best

3 - Software Engineer
                  Money for nothing, baby...
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Eh, the biomedical engineers I know aren't bored by biomedical engineering, even though the rest of the world is.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Eh, the biomedical engineers I know aren't bored by biomedical engineering, even though the rest of the world is.
                      I've never been bored a day in my life as a software engineer. I get to solve logic puzzles all day long - my mind is constantly engaged. It suits me perfectly. The secondary benefits - good pay and benefits, casual work environment, no evenings or weekends, no overtime, minimal contact with idiots, errrr, the general public - are gravy.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Plus you get to sit in a cubicle all day under fluorescent lights, dreaming of the day when you'll once achieve the summit of your toiling ---- middle management!

Fuck that. I'd rather be a lumberjack.
                        Wow, such insight - it's like you have a window into my soul. You probably are smart enough to be a lumberjack.

Comment

Lumberjacks are totally stupid, just like me, huh?
                          No, I think your average lumberjack could comprehend that most software developers choose their profession precisely because they don't want any part of the middle management career path. If I insulted lumberjacks by suggesting you're smart enough to be one, then I apologize to the lumberjacks.

Comment

I've learned that eld is jealous of software engineers.
                            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

If I've learned three things today, they are that lumberjacks think a lot more about the career path choices of software developers than I'd imagined, I am a stupid, stupid man, and that Senorsheep has his feewings hurt if you don't share his love for his job.
                              1-for-3 - not a bad day at the plate!

So, to clarify for anyone who's not a sensitive wussjob, I would disagree with these rankings because of criteria that are not included. Sorry if that hurts anyone's feelings.
                              To clarify for anyone who's not a loudmouth douchebag hypocrite rebel-poseur: I try not to make uninformed judgments about anyone's choice of profession, or their motivations behind their choice. I appreciate the same courtesy. However, if you feel compelled to make ignorant characterizations and derogatory insinuations about my choice of profession or my motivations for choosing it, please don't cry like a b!tch if I comment on the stupidity of your childish yammering, or dish it back to you in the same manner in which you dished it out first. In other words, take the beam out of your own vagina.

Comment

Working...
                              X