Need info on Car insurance tracking devices/savings plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on Car insurance tracking devices/savings plans

Sorry for the very poor title but I am not sure what the devices are called.

Our insurance is going up due to change in the laws. As a result we are looking to save $ wherever we can. Our insurance company wants us to sign up for their drive wise program and instantly save $160. Essentially it is a tracker you place on your vehicle. The insurance company then knows how many miles you drive, how fast and how often you slam on your brakes. The company says by knowing this info they can then tailor the plan towards us and then save us money (10% -25%). When my wife told me about the program I instantly said NO WAY! I am almost always about 5 MPH over the speed limit and in stop and go traffic frequently. It would look as if I am slamming on my brakes a lot. I think the tool is ultimately going to be used to raise our rates by saying you speed too much, ride the brakes etc. The company says the speed is only counted when you go over 80 mph (If I am on a road trip I frequently go over 80).

Has anyone ever used this type of program? Am I being paranoid?
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

this kind of thing is waaaay too big brother for me. i cringe every time i see or hear and advertisement for it. maybe i'm being stupid, but i'm willing to pay the extra to avoid it...
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

My company will ding you for rapid accelerations and decelerations most, you can turn on an audible alarm so you know when its happening. Yeah, we collect alot of data, but we cannot use it to increase your rates, just decrease.

Comment

Working...
      X