No announcement yet.

REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised, not because I don't think it's an amazing album, but I figured most of you guys would choose their earlier material.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      I realize it's vastly overplayed and many of us grew tired of it at some point or another, but at 2.2 I had to take Losing My Religion. It is one of the greatest pop songs of all time despite not really be terribly radio friendly.

And that Mandolin is worth an early second round pick alone.
      Losing was the only other song I considered taking #7 overall... and obviously was going to be my next pick.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

8 different records in the first 13 picks ... that says a lot.

Comment

Next pick up in 30 to 45... on phone right now and hard to pick.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            I'm surprised, not because I don't think it's an amazing album, but I figured most of you guys would choose their earlier material.
            I think they matured as a band over time, with the 90s producing an amazing body of work.

Comment

I had LMR way up at the top, but there are so many way up at the top. I'm just going with ones that are special to me (and Alice).

Comment

Nice picks following Find the River.

Comment

Does that mean Find the River wasn't a nice pick? :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    2.04 Superman, Lifes Rich Pageant
                    Mike Mills is REM's secret weapon - how many bands have an ace like him up their sleeves? It's like having Matt Cain as the number 3 guy in your rotation. I can't even quantify how often some bass lick or keyboard riff or background vocal of his elevates a very good REM song to a classic. I absolutely love the guy.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

My county library system just received 10 hold requests for R.E.M. albums. Time to do some research!

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        Mike Mills is REM's secret weapon - how many bands have an ace like him up their sleeves? It's like having Matt Cain as the number 3 guy in your rotation. I can't even quantify how often some bass lick or keyboard riff or background vocal of his elevates a very good REM song to a classic. I absolutely love the guy.
                        Superman is in my top 3 REM songs
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

talk about the passion would have been my next choice. i just assumed there was no way it'd come all the way back to me, but then we were almost halfway through round 2, and i allowed myself a sliver of hope.

damn you johnny!

(not that it would have made it past the other 4, but you never know in this draft!)
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Im getting on a plane in 30 mins, so pick erik!
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Driver 8 was given serious contemplation at the last pick. I love playing that opening guitar riff.

Comment

One of the songs that I was considering def. won't make it back to me because I know how much Lucky loves it. But I figured I'd cut him a break since I victimized him so much in the Festival draft.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X