No announcement yet.

REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be gone until mid-afternoon, but I doubt things will get back to me before then.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Nightswimming is a great pick.

BTW, I never use the youtube embed function, but use the little strip.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        I didn't expect Nightswimming to make it out of the first round either. Another consensus fave among my REM die-hard friends.
        I wasn't sure if the diehards still were on board with this one, but it's probably my favorite R.E.M. song. I'd most likely have picked it even at #1. I considered gambling but sheep has burned me too many times.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I would have picked it at #1 too DMT. And I planned to take it at #9 too, ya jerk!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            I would have picked it at #1 too DMT. And I planned to take it at #9 too, ya jerk!
            My work here is done
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

"Nightswimming" into "Find the River" is almost one cohesive song for me. I was hoping to get both of them.

My senior year of high school I lost 3 people that I was very close to and went to 3 other funerals of acquaintances.

Life seemed far more fragile than it should for any 18 year old about to step into world and every time I found myself getting "too dark" I could listen to Automatic for the People and the cast recording for Rent and they served as pseudo-therapist for me. I guess I was being emo before it was a fad.

It's probably my favorite album of all time. I love how the album starts with a "Hello" and ends with a "Goodbye" and everything in middle is a journey like life. Great album.

Comment

Automatic is one of those records I listened to death when it came out, so it's rarely a go to record when I want some REM ... but being as objective as you can be about these things, it's without a doubt their masterpiece. Most of the songs on that record will still sound fresh in 20 years.

Comment

Would have been a tough call between Man On The Moon and End of the World if I'd been given that choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    And, BTW, the first round picks are all great ones, IMO. Not a "Hey, Bulldog" in the bunch. All deserving of first round status.
                    If I picked my two favorite remaining REM songs right now, I'd be laughed out of this draft.
                    Last edited by senorsheep; 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Not by me. My next pick if it's still there isn't hardly going to be a cerebral master piece. Drafts like this are so objective that you just pick what you like.

Comment

I realize it's vastly overplayed and many of us grew tired of it at some point or another, but at 2.2 I had to take Losing My Religion. It is one of the greatest pop songs of all time despite not really be terribly radio friendly.

And that Mandolin is worth an early second round pick alone.

Comment

i like Automatic, but i'm pretty surprised it got 4 selections in the first round (and was the only album with more than 1). interesting. maybe i need to go back and listen to it again!
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                            i like Automatic, but i'm pretty surprised it got 4 selections in the first round (and was the only album with more than 1). interesting. maybe i need to go back and listen to it again!
                            Im surprised as well....
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

The singles got overplayed on the radio so I think a lot of people sort of tuned it out and dismiss it in their minds now. Top to bottom though it's a very strong album.

It makes it on a lot of Top 100 albums of all time lists and it's easily in my Top 5 albums of the 1990s.

Comment

i'm listening to it now. maybe it grows on you...
                                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                                X