No announcement yet.

REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going back through my list, I've found that repeated listening to "You" from Monster elevates that song from an afterthought on the album to a killer track. I would invite you to put it on repeat for about five runs, and see if you agree.

Caveat: You have to like guitars. Also, it reminds me of something the Beatles might have done if they had stayed together.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      So here's a pretty insane playlist of undrafted songs

Walk It Back (Collapse Into Now) ... errrrrr ... and this ... especially this, this is one of my favourites
      This song was the one I went back and forth with Blue when I made that selection. I really wanted to take both, and loved this song the first time I listened to it. It's my choice for the hidden track idea we keep throwing around.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• My favorite REM tunes:

1. Radio Free Europe
        2. Pretty Persuasion
        3. What's the Frequency Kenneth
        4. Circus Envy
        5. Man on the Moon
        6. Pilgrimmage
        7. Fall on Me
        8. Begin the Begin
        9. Don't Go Back
        10. Stand
        11. Swan Swan H
        12. Crush With Eyeliner
        13. Orange Crush
        14. Can't Get There
        15. Exhuming McCarthy
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          My favorite REM tunes:

1. Radio Free Europe
          2. Pretty Persuasion
          3. What's the Frequency Kenneth
          4. Circus Envy
          5. Man on the Moon
          6. Pilgrimmage
          7. Fall on Me
          8. Begin the Begin
          9. Don't Go Back
          10. Stand
          11. Swan Swan H
          12. Crush With Eyeliner
          13. Orange Crush
          14. Can't Get There
          15. Exhuming McCarthy
          Pretty sure all of those were selected. I took Circus Envy. That was probably the latest on this list to go.
          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• As far as hidden tracks. I'm going to throw out "Tongue" from Monster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
              This song was the one I went back and forth with Blue when I made that selection. I really wanted to take both, and loved this song the first time I listened to it. It's my choice for the hidden track idea we keep throwing around.
              I was planning to take it, but Time After Time was still hanging out there in the 11th.

An undrafted, virtually unknown song like Walk It Back is better than most bands could manage in their entire career. One comment described Michael Stipe's voice here like a 20 year old bottle of scotch ... perfect description.

... but the strangest REM video of them all.

Comment

• Yeah, Walk it Back is good. Probably one of their better songs on Collapse. It probably didn't go just because of the number of draftees that weren't familiar with anything after New Adventures, myself included.

Edit to add: I'll take Voice of Harold as my hidden track.
                "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• My hidden track will be the title track of Around the Sun.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    My hidden track will be the title track of Around the Sun.
                    I'm not taking a hidden track, because I used to hate them. It turned out to be 5 minutes of silence when you had the record on repeat.

But if I did it'd be a fairly close call between Walk It Back (Collapse), Man-Sized Wreath (Accelerate) and Final Straw (Around The Sun). Walk It Now would probably win out.

Honourable mention to Man-Sized Wreath though ... it's the 3rd of the rockin' opening trio on Accelerate, and the video is great also ...

Comment

• I'll stick with How the West Was Won for my hidden track.

Comment

• If Im taking a secret track, its some lost demo tape of "Superman"
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• sorry i didn't post my last pick yesterday (or earlier today) - i actually spent an entire day and a half ignoring the internet and it was bliss .

old man kensey would probably have been my pick if i wasn't following my one-per-album rule. will post my real last pick in a bit.
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• went with Bandwagon. could have gone with Ages of You or Burning Down instead, but i love two things about Bandwagon aside from its catchy tune and chord progressions: first, that the band is poking fun of its newfound popularity and how long it will last; and second that stipe is singing in a redneck twang that reinforces the fact that they've moved beyond their original audience.

ETA: Bandwagon also reminds me of Welcome to the Machine. both told from the POV of the managers, handlers, PR folks, etc. in Welcome, it's their pitch to the band. in Bandwagon it's their pitch to the fans.
                            Last edited by bryanbutler; 04-29-2013, 01:44 AM.
                            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Finally completed my album.

Blondie with Angel Eyes

Side A
                              Superman
                              Wanderlust
                              All the Way to Reno (You're Gonna Be a Star)
                              Shiny Happy People
                              We Walk
                              Blue

Side B
                              The One I Love
                              Low
                              Photograph
                              Bad Day
                              The Outsiders
                              Everybody Hurts

*SUPER SECRET HIDDEN TRACK*
                              Walk It Back
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I really should have taken Alligator Aviator for my last song, it would have fit better on Side A and I could have moved Sidewinder to Side B.

That said, I'm quite happy with my album. Just finished listening to Pale Blue Eyes. Man I love that track.

I may have missed crossing off the last couple picks but here is what is left on my "list"

Make It all OK (Around the Sun)
                                Aftermath (Around the Sun)
                                Burning Down (dead letter)
                                Discoverer (Collapse into now)
                                Strange - Document
                                Wanderlust (Around the Sun)
                                Imitation of Life (In Time)

Comment

Working...
                                X