No announcement yet.

REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in the "that Country Feedback with Neil Young is one the best videos on all of YouTube" camp

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      FFS, Wolves, Lower was my next pick!

It's a fascinating oddity. To my ears, it sounds like "Paint It Black" filtered through early U2-style productions and Stipe-y vocals and lyrics. (Suspicion yourself?)

Back in high school, some of my buddies had a band that mostly played REM, Smiths, Joy Division, and Cure covers. They often opened their sets with this. So I kinda remember it fondly because of that, too.
      I guess I should tell another relevant anecdote involving those same buddies.

During summers off from college, we would occasionally get together and get drunk and go driving around randomly. (Luckily, one of them did not drink and was just as silly when sober as the rest of us were when drunk. So we were always covered on the DD front.)

Somehow, we all thought it funny to shout out "Ig-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE-LAAAAAAAAAAAAAND! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!" at random times. This would happen several times each sojourn. It was never not funny at the time.

I've been texting "Ig-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE-LAAAAAAAAAAAAAND! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!" to one of them at random times during this draft.
      Last edited by Erik; 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Someone please pm Johnny for me
        I PM'd Long John for you. He's now the one that comes after you in odd-numbered rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Up, Reveal, Accelerate and Collapse are all very different from each other, but still really good in my book. Reveal is marginally the best of the later bunch.
          According to the first part of the AV Club opus that I posted, Mike Mills says Reveal is his favorite REM album.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            I'm in the "that Country Feedback with Neil Young is one the best videos on all of YouTube" camp
            I love the way Neil plays total sideman on the song. But you can tell in the extended intro that Michael is content to wait patiently while Neil works out.

I think this video is from the 25th Anniversary DVD.

Comment

According to the first part of the AV Club opus that I posted, Mike Mills says Reveal is his favorite REM album.
              Yeah, he has six fantasy baseball leagues going, so what does that say about his judgement?

Comment

• Well, he's got more time and money than all of us put together. I'd join a boatload of fantasy baseball leagues too if that were my situation!

Comment

I think Reveal suffers from something like REM fatigue ... after a while critics and fans alike grow tired ... sometimes losing interest for no apparent reason. I've done this plenty of times with bands, especially if the previous record was just a little off, or not what I was expecting.

I have 5 Reveal songs on my wishlist (which is an unrealistically long list).

Comment

• Half A World Away was the last on my OOT list ... surprised it lasted so long.

... but I have a devious OOT back-up plan.

Comment

• Yeah, I had Half A World Away in my Top Three when I picked Oddfellows. And I'm pretty sure now that my OOT strategy will not come to fruition.

Comment

but I have a devious OOT back-up plan.
                        DJ sucks?

Comment

Half A World Away was the last on my OOT list ... surprised it lasted so long.

... but I have a devious OOT back-up plan.
                          Not picking anything else from OOT?
                          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                            Not picking anything else from OOT?
                            I'm not sure I'd rank anything left from OOT ahead of the gazillion songs I still have on my long list.

Add Fretless and remove Radio Song and OOT is a classic.

Comment

• Dammit! I believed I Believe was actually going to make it back around to me.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I'm not sure I'd rank anything left from OOT ahead of the gazillion songs I still have on my long list.

Add Fretless and remove Radio Song and OOT is a classic.
                                I totally called "B-side or outtake" in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X