REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    A grand total of three songs from 1998 or later so far, two of which were not on proper albums. I suspect that will change soon.
    Even if you love the later songs, it would be a tactical error to chase them early in a draft format ... especially when Automatic, LRP and Murmur sure to get decimated early. The Great Beyond and At My Most Beautiful were always going to be exceptions ... though I expected one or two others to go sooner.

Comment

• I know REM fans who hold ill will toward Out of Time. Some wanted REM to stay more of an obscure college band, but Out of Time blew that up. It went #1 on the US album charts (and numerous other charts around the globe), sold 18 million copies worldwide, and brought them three Grammy awards, including Best Alternative Music Album. The world finally recognized the band.

My biggest complaint with the album is that it begins with that god-awful KRS-One "experiment". To me, the first cut of an album is critical. It can set the stage. For Out of Time, I have to just ignore the first track and revel in the stunningly good remainder.

I think Out of Time was a very mature album, and built well on what the band had done before. To me, Green was more of a departure album. As for experimenting with other instruments, that was a major feature of Green. They used a mandolin, an accordion, and odd percussion.

If I counted right, there have already been eight songs taken off Out of Time, and another couple which will possibly fall.

Comment

• Anybody know whether FB is around today or still traveling?

Comment

• Im leaving in 30 minutes, and i would have happily taken Low in the 6th round, alas not to be
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
            I know REM fans who hold ill will toward Out of Time. Some wanted REM to stay more of an obscure college band, but Out of Time blew that up. It went #1 on the US album charts (and numerous other charts around the globe), sold 18 million copies worldwide, and brought them three Grammy awards, including Best Alternative Music Album. The world finally recognized the band.

My biggest complaint with the album is that it begins with that god-awful KRS-One "experiment". To me, the first cut of an album is critical. It can set the stage. For Out of Time, I have to just ignore the first track and revel in the stunningly good remainder.

I think Out of Time was a very mature album, and built well on what the band had done before. To me, Green was more of a departure album. As for experimenting with other instruments, that was a major feature of Green. They used a mandolin, an accordion, and odd percussion.

If I counted right, there have already been eight songs taken off Out of Time, and another couple which will possibly fall.
            I totally agree on Out Of Time ... and now that you've outed it, I was holding my diatribe about Radio Song and it's affect on OOT until Pogues (sorry someone) picked it. That is a travesty of a song, by far the worst thing they have ever recorded.

That piece of shit song kills my mood every time it random plays ... don't know why I just don't delete it. They should re-release OOT without that song ... just 4 minutes of contemplative silence before Losing My Religion.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              I totally agree on Out Of Time ... and now that you've outed it, I was holding my diatribe about Radio Song and it's affect on OOT until Pogues (sorry someone) picked it. That is a travesty of a song, by far the worst thing they have ever recorded.

That piece of shit song kills my mood every time it random plays ... don't know why I just don't delete it. They should re-release OOT without that song ... just 4 minutes of contemplative silence before Losing My Religion.
              Thirded. As I mentioned before, I think of OOT as an ALBUM, one that I can just play from beginning to end. And by beginning, I mean, starting on Track 2. Radio Song isn't my least favorite REM song (my least fave may actually get picked so I'll hold it back) but it is the 2nd worst on my list.

Comment

The anti-hidden track from the 90s! I love it.

Comment

• Well, sorry about that. I shouldn't have outed the opening track.

Comment

• Damn it. I thought for sure that would make it back to me! Nice pick Lucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      Damn it. I thought for sure that would make it back to me! Nice pick Lucky.
                      You're damn Lucky I didn't know that. At the very least, I would have taken Daysleeper to obtain Finest Worksong. Ransom, trade, whatever.
                      "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                      "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        Well, sorry about that. I shouldn't have outed the opening track.
                        It was a single that garnered quite a bit of airplay, so it's not like none of us know about it. It is definitely the most reviled REM song, in my experience. Around the Sun seems to be the most reviled album, though not because of the awfulness of particular tracks, rather because the thing as a whole comes off as pretty boring.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                          You're damn Lucky I didn't know that. At the very least, I would have taken Daysleeper to obtain Finest Worksong. Ransom, trade, whatever.
                          Yeah, I would have been behind the eight ball, alright. Probably would have traded Finest Worksong and an MP3 player to be named later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                            Honestly, Shiny wouldn't be a bad song if you got rid of Kate's vocal part. For me, that's what kills it.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I have deleted Radio Song from my iPod. I've never missed it.

There is one REM song I detest more than Radio Song. I'm gonna guess it goes in Round 10.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Hey, I didn't take Radio Song!

Though it is 10th on my list for most favorite REM songs...though after this draft I think this will change a bit, since I'm discovering a lot of stuff I like more.
                                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X