No announcement yet.

REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may be the only draft were I like every single song selected. I even really like Shiny Happy People if I can mentally block out the awful video (and anything visual from Michael Stipe's baseball hat wearing era). There are a couple of songs that could challenge this though.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      I was so close to taking 'Finest Worksong' this round and based on the crickets after my last pick, I probably chose unwisely.
      I don't think so. "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" was a monster track (pun intended), and one of my faves. It was obviously one of the band's faves, too, since it was the song they played fifth most often in concert. (The top four are long gone.) It was on my short list, but the way things fell I lucked into four of my top eight, plus Alice's favorite.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        This may be the only draft were I like every single song selected. I even really like Shiny Happy People if I can mentally block out the awful video (and anything visual from Michael Stipe's baseball hat wearing era). There are a couple of songs that could challenge this though.
        It is truly amazing how many great songs have been picked among the first forty-plus. So good over such a long period. Never became caricatures of themselves.

Comment

• Rosters added to the Draft Thread.

Comment

• Playlist updated.

Comment

• I was going to take finest worksong right here....or so I thought
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                I was going to take finest worksong right here....or so I thought
                I had it as #8 on my list, surprised it didn't go sooner.

Comment

• I had hoped Near Wild Heaven would be my sleeper pick, last a couple of more rounds.

If you like it, you better put a ring on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    I had hoped Near Wild Heaven would be my sleeper pick, last a couple of more rounds.

If you like it, you better put a ring on it.
                    I would have taken it next round if it was there for me....like you said, I don't think there are any sleeper picks here
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I don't think so. "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" was a monster track (pun intended), and one of my faves. It was obviously one of the band's faves, too, since it was the song they played fifth most often in concert. (The top four are long gone.) It was on my short list, but the way things fell I lucked into four of my top eight, plus Alice's favorite.
                      I also was disappointed to see this song picked...it would have been a strong contender for the pick I'm about to make...just trying to catch up on the draft news first.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

It is truly amazing how many great songs have been picked among the first forty-plus. So good over such a long period. Never became caricatures of themselves.
                        this is a great point - try to think of bands that didn't become caricatures of themselves - and premature death doesn't count

Comment

• I have just entered "outsider status" in this draft. I've never seen REM in concert, I'm not a big fan of their music outside of a few albums, and never listened to most of their stuff. So I haven't the faintest idea if Bad Day is a quality pick or not.

Now that my ten ranked songs in my Top *@#! songs are gone, I am ranking what I am listening to on a scale from 1 to 10...well 9. The 10s are my top 10 songs. I have this and two other songs rated a "9", one of which I had heard more than 4 days ago.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                            I have just entered "outsider status" in this draft. I've never seen REM in concert, I'm not a big fan of their music outside of a few albums, and never listened to most of their stuff. So I haven't the faintest idea if Bad Day is a quality pick or not.

Now that my ten ranked songs in my Top *@#! songs are gone, I am ranking what I am listening to on a scale from 1 to 10...well 9. The 10s are my top 10 songs. I have this and two other songs rated a "9", one of which I had heard more than 4 days ago.
                            If you like it, it's a quality pick.

Bad Day is a great tune ... nice pick.

"Bad Day"

A Public service announcement followed me home the other day
                            I paid it nevermind. Go away.
                            Shits so thick you could stir it with a stick- free Teflon whitewashed presidency
                            We're sick of being jerked around
                            Wear that on your sleeve

Broadcast me a joyful noise unto the times, lord,
                            Count your blessings.
                            We all fall down.

Have you ever seen the televised St. vitus subcommittee prize
                            Investigation dance? Those-ants-in- pants glances.
                            Well, look behind the eyes
                            It's a hallowed, hollow anesthesized
                            "save my own ass, screw these guys"
                            smoke and mirror lock down

Count your blessings.
                            the papers wouldn't lie!
                            I sigh. Not one more

Its been a bad day.
                            Please dont take a picture
                            Its been a bad day.
                            Please

We're dug in the deep the price is steep.
                            The auctioneer is such a creep.
                            The lights went out, the oil ran dry
                            We blamed it on the other guy
                            Sure, all men are created equal.
                            Heres the church, heres the steeple
                            Please stay tuned--we cut to sequel
                            ashes, ashes, we all fall down.

Broadcast me a joyful noise unto the times, lord, Count your blessings.
                            Ebrace the lowest fear/Ignore the lower fears
                            Ugh, this means war.

Its been a bad day.
                            Br.

Count your blessings.
                            We all fall down.

Its been a bad day...
                            Pleaase...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                              I have just entered "outsider status" in this draft. I've never seen REM in concert, I'm not a big fan of their music outside of a few albums, and never listened to most of their stuff. So I haven't the faintest idea if Bad Day is a quality pick or not.
                              I'm right there with ya. And 'Bad Day' is really good tune.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                I'm right there with ya. And 'Bad Day' is really good tune.
                                I felt a bit weird calling such an angry song a 'tune'

There has to be a word that combines tunefulness and vitriol ... whatever that word is, it sums up so many REM songs.

Comment

Working...
                                X