Official 'Mad Men' Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    I found it all disappointing, honestly. The Peggy thing was pretty shallow for a character always written with such complexity, in particular. At first I found Don's ending to be so silly that it was implausible-- Don Draper, golf shirt and chinos hippie-- but Don incorporating the Hippie vibe into advertising instead of having a real "breakthrough" makes a bit more sense. The leopard didn't change his spots, he just did some overwrought market research. I don;t recall if it was HuffPo or NPR, but someone this morning had up a picture that cemented the "Don wrote the Coke Ad" theme-- the girl at the chekc-in of the commune was wearing almost exactly the same dress and had the same hair and features as one of the singers in the Coke ad.

Joan's story line made sense and Roger's was typically screwball. Betty's end made the most sense to me. All in all, though, I wanted more out of the whole thing.
    Other than Peggy, I thought the ending was solid, and in particular Don's (and yes I thought the resemblance b/w the clerk and actress was fairly obvious) (non-)breakthrough was perfect.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Meh. Which is pretty much my reaction to the entire show after the first two seasons.
      “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Wonderboy View Post
        Meh. Which is pretty much my reaction to the entire show after the first two seasons.
        Yet you continued watching?
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Yet you continued watching?
          Only sporadically. I would occasionally get sucked back in, like when the Brit was running their finances. But usually I'd watch a half episode every few weeks and give up again. I tried to watch most of the last season.

And unfortunately, meh is about average for most of TV.
          “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
          -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
          X