Japan: Massive Tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amcg View Post
    9,500 people missing from a single port town, Minamisanriku. Check out this video - at about 38 seconds in they compare before and after shots of the town from the air. It bears a striking similarity, although smaller scale, to before and after photos of Hiroshima.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zduhn...ature=youtu.be
    Apparently the wave that hit Minamisanriku was four stories high.

Last edited by johnnya24; 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Latest statement from the Japanese Nuclear Agency:

" Japan nuclear agency rates nuclear plant accident in Fukushima at 4 on 0-7 international scale."

So the outer case of a reactor exploding is only a 4/7 ... IMO we have no clue what is actually going on here, and that is the vibe I'm getting from the expert commentators.
      Last edited by johnnya24; 03-12-2011, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Some incredible before and after pictures.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          Jeez Louise, that is incredible, Bucky...
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Here is a really chilling video of a first-person account of a town being swallowed up by the ocean. Crazy.

my wife forwarded me this one as well, what's most crazy is the timing, 6 frakking minutes and your town is gone.....
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

A third explosion just heard at the Fukushima plant (from Reactor 2 apparently)

Edit: Explosion happened at 6.10am Japanese time ... news about the explosion does not hit the news agencies until 8.10am.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 03-14-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

And more bad news (presumably why they waited so long to reveal details):

More details on the reported blast at Fukushima's reactor 2. The explosion is feared to have damaged the reactor's pressure-suppression system, Kyodo says. It adds that "radiation tops legal limit" after the explosion

BBC
                A rupture may have occurred inside the containment vessel at Fukushima's number two reactor, Japan's NHK public broadcaster is reporting.

Although details are only slowly emerging about the explosion that was heard there a short time ago, technicians have been told to evacuate the area

A nuclear export told the broadcaster that there may have been a radioactive leak as a result of the explosion at the vessel, which is supposed to prevent radiation from leaking out.

The explosion appears to be related to a fault with the suppression pool at the very bottom of the containment vessel. Steam is brought down to the pool and is used to cool the reactor.

CORRECTION: Around 50 technicians who are directly involved in the operation are remaining at the site of the explosion.

Guardian
                ... and the 50 employees who got the short straws are ...
                Last edited by johnnya24; 03-14-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=johnnya24;10716]And more bad news (presumably why they waited so long to reveal details):

VoA Tokyo Bureau Chief (currently in Sendai) reports that international news crews are being ordered to evacuate Sendai to get away from radiological effects, but opines it might be premature. PM Kan to address the nation with "major news" in coming moments, though.

... and the 50 employees who got the short straws are ...
                  May God preserve them; they may all be latter day Sergei Preminins, willfully sacrificing their lives to forestall an atomic disaster as he did on K-219.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Two US Forces Japan pumping vehicles are rushing to Fukushima, crewed by US servicemen. Anyone else getting the awful feeling that the wheels may be coming off of this situation?
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Oh shlt.. Kan's address begins, "Please listen calmly. Every possible effort has been made to cool the reactors." That's going to be very bad, for a Japanese leader to speak that directly and with so little nuance.

Comment

"Ther eis a very high risk of further radioactive materials coming out. We need everyone within a 20km radius to leave immediately, and within a 30km radius to stay indoors until told otherwise".

Comment

It gets worse. A separate report from Tokyo Electric confirms fires burning at Daiichi 4 reactor.

Comment

Joe, Eric and others can much better comment on Japanese nuance than I can as they have lived there, but from what I understand this kind of direct speech and appeal for calm reads as very disquieting to me. Anybody with first hand Japanese experience want to comment on that?

Comment

Reactor #2 has an "observable hole" in it, according to Voice of America's bureau chief. Hopefully that means the building, not the containment vessel. If it is the vessel, all the talk of "Chernobyl comparisons are irresponsible" goes out the window and we will quite likely have a new Chernobyl.

Comment

New hydrogen explosion at burning reactor 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X