Florida Spring Training trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Spring Training trip

I am taking my oldest son (10) to Spring Training in Florida for his spring break this year (Mar 11-15).

We are driving because airfare is extremely high right now. We'll keep looking for good prices, but I don't think we'll find a good flight.

From Dallas area leave either Mar 10 or 11 depending on our schedule for that weekend.
    Return Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Planning to see the following games. Should I buy tickets now or can I wait until I get to the stadium? Is it worth it to get good seats or just sit in the lowest cost seats?

Tue, Mar 12 - StL @ Atl - 1:05 - Lake Buena Vista
    Wed, Mar 13 - Was @ Hou - 1:05 - Kissimmee
    Thu, Mar 14 - Off day - play golf or find an amusement park
    Fri, Mar 15 - Tor @ Det - 1:05 - Lakeland

Planning to stay in the Orlando area - looking at Westgate Lakes Resort (getting $79 rate plus breakfast...includes a kitchen as well.)

Any information regarding the area/places to stay/spring training advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Originally posted by MrFurious View Post
    I am taking my oldest son (10) to Spring Training in Florida for his spring break this year (Mar 11-15).

We are driving because airfare is extremely high right now. We'll keep looking for good prices, but I don't think we'll find a good flight.

From Dallas area leave either Mar 10 or 11 depending on our schedule for that weekend.

Planning to see the following games. Should I buy tickets now or can I wait until I get to the stadium? Is it worth it to get good seats or just sit in the lowest cost seats?

Planning to stay in the Orlando area - looking at Westgate Lakes Resort (getting $79 rate plus breakfast...includes a kitchen as well.)

Any information regarding the area/places to stay/spring training advice would be helpful.

Thanks
    For the stadiums you're going to, I'd wait and buy the tickets at the stadium. No reason to buy them in advance, since these games wont sell out.

I dont have any advice re: hotels. Since all these games are near Orlando, you could just stay at the Westgate the whole time if desired; sounds like you got a good deal.

I'm guessing your son probably would like Disney World. I've have no interest and I've never been.

Tampa is not far, and I'd try to see a Yankees game there. For that you'd have to buy the tickets in advance, as those games sell out, even in early ST (I know that first-hand).

There sometimes are night games, so you could possibly see 2 games in one day, if desired.

ST games are great for baseball fans, espec. if you've never been. If your son is interested, you can get up close to a lot of the ballplayers and talk to them, get autographs, etc.

Enjoy your trip!

Comment

Thanks rhd....bump...anyone else with input? Thanks.

Comment

Obviously this won't be a rule, but...

My friend (a former college baseball player) had his bachelor party in the Tampa area during spring training. One of the things we did was go to a Toronto/Detroit spring training game at Toronto's park. About 3 weeks before the game, I called the park and asked if I could get his name on the scoreboard. They told me that we could do that, but actually, they didn't have anyone to throw out the first pitch that day and they asked if he'd like to do it. Of course I said yes and we surprised him with that.

The moral of the story is if you go to a game and it's a special occasion (first time, birthday, etc.), see if they can do anything special for him-it can't hurt.

Thanks rhd....bump...anyone else with input? Thanks.

Comment

Thanks
          Westgate resort area is fine for what you're looking for. Eat before going to the park as the concessions are flat out stupid. You need to find somewhere to eat before going on Disney property because once you get off 192, there's nothing else. Kissimmee has a few options around the park before turning off 192. I recommend going that way early and going down Main St to the train station. There is a little hot dog place called Willy's Wieners that does very good Chicago style dogs. The park is only 10 minutes from there and it will not be crowded for that game.

Off-day, you can head out to the coast and check out NASA or go to Disney Quest and do the 5-story indoor arcade/interactive games stuff.

Lakeland is 30 minutes down I-4 and there's a Five Guys right off the exit on your way to the park

Comment

Thanks guys!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X