No announcement yet.

Florida vacation for the Griswolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the further you go north of 60 the less crowded it gets until you get to Caladesi State Park which is only accessible by boat, and therefore very secluded.

It's definitely more touristy over there, so if that's what you're trying to avoid, you might just be better off over here on the East.
    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

During June, the areas are much less congested as everyone has gone back up north. Start at Dunedin and work your way up the coast

Comment

How about a Vegas Vacation?

Comment

Vegas? Great idea....if there was a beach there.

Thanks for the advice Jason And TC!

I'm leaning towards the East coast again....something New Syrna or Flagler Beach.

I figured Daytona would be horribly hectic.

Comment

Plus if you wait until July you can see good ol' Trader Mac.
            拖裤子,
            放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              The last time I was in Florida was in July. It was so hot the mirror melted off my van. Side moldings as well.

If you have a choice June would be better.
              Definitely. When I was a kid, the only time we could drive to Florida to see my grandmothers (one in Miami Beach, the other in St. Pete) was during the summer. Yuck, especially before WE paid to have Mom's mother's house air conditioned. Years later, when my father moved to Ft. Lauderdale, I told him, "If I don't get there by Flag Day, I'll see you after Labor Day."

My very unscientific recommendations--

East Coast--Avoid anything south of Vero Beach. Palm, Broward, and Dade Counties aren't Florida, they're a bad stew of old people and the Third World. Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, and Melbourne Beach aren't bad, but they're far from great beaches. They are closest to Orlando, though, for your day trip.

West Coast--"Back in the day", you really couldn't go wrong anywhere. I'm sure it's much less crowded than the East Coast. If you're trying to get away from it all, avoid Pinellas and Pasco Counties, and I'm sure some of the areas around the bigger towns down the coast (Sarasota, Bradenton, Ft. Myers, Naples) are overdeveloped, too. Lots of great beaches. I've never been to the Panhandle, but I've heard great things about Panama City and the surrounding area.

Having been to lot of the towns up and down the coasts over the years, if I were going without a family, I'd go the Panhandle. The drawback for you is that you'd be at least a half day away from Orlando. In your situation, the beaches closer to Orlando are probably your best bet. I agree with Mrs. Gris--try a beach you haven't been to before. Even if you loved the one you went to, it's never the same the second time, and there are lots of options.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Definitely. When I was a kid, the only time we could drive to Florida to see my grandmothers (one in Miami Beach, the other in St. Pete) was during the summer. Yuck, especially before WE paid to have Mom's mother's house air conditioned. Years later, when my father moved to Ft. Lauderdale, I told him, "If I don't get there by Flag Day, I'll see you after Labor Day."

My very unscientific recommendations--

East Coast--Avoid anything south of Vero Beach. Palm, Broward, and Dade Counties aren't Florida, they're a bad stew of old people and the Third World. Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, and Melbourne Beach aren't bad, but they're far from great beaches. They are closest to Orlando, though, for your day trip.

West Coast--"Back in the day", you really couldn't go wrong anywhere. I'm sure it's much less crowded than the East Coast. If you're trying to get away from it all, avoid Pinellas and Pasco Counties, and I'm sure some of the areas around the bigger towns down the coast (Sarasota, Bradenton, Ft. Myers, Naples) are overdeveloped, too. Lots of great beaches. I've never been to the Panhandle, but I've heard great things about Panama City and the surrounding area.

Having been to lot of the towns up and down the coasts over the years, if I were going without a family, I'd go the Panhandle. The drawback for you is that you'd be at least a half day away from Orlando. In your situation, the beaches closer to Orlando are probably your best bet. I agree with Mrs. Gris--try a beach you haven't been to before. Even if you loved the one you went to, it's never the same the second time, and there are lots of options.
                Thanks DQ!

It looks like I found my "dream house" in Melbourne Beach.

Now I have to lock down 5 airline tickets to Orlando for a decent price.

As always I appreciate the help.

Gris

Comment

Southwest flies direct from C-Bus. Also, look into flying into Melbourne. Yea, it will involve a connection through Atlanta (Delta) or Charlotte (USAir), but I've saved a ton of money a couple of times. Delta wanted $550 to fly to Dallas through Atlanta from Orlando but wanted $213 to fly from Melbourne to connect to the same flight in Atlanta to get to Dallas, and back. Melbourne's airport is a breeze to get in and out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    Southwest flies direct from C-Bus. Also, look into flying into Melbourne. Yea, it will involve a connection through Atlanta (Delta) or Charlotte (USAir), but I've saved a ton of money a couple of times. Delta wanted $550 to fly to Dallas through Atlanta from Orlando but wanted $213 to fly from Melbourne to connect to the same flight in Atlanta to get to Dallas, and back. Melbourne's airport is a breeze to get in and out of.
                    Thanks J...I checked, it's still much cheaper to fly into Orlando out of CAK.

I'll have to rent a car regardless....thanks again for evertone's help.

Comment

Working...
                    X