X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    I like funk and blues more than jazz
    Me, too.

BTW, on the Mahavishnu album shown above, the track "You Know You Know" is something I can listen to over and over again.

Odd (hi-jack) story. I know this guy who was an absolutely amazing finger picker. He had won two state championships. He was over one night, and I turned him on to John McLaughlin. He freaked out, starting listening to everything he ever recorded, even bought a DVD program McLaughlin has on music theory. Completely screwed him up. Instead of incorporating his "roots" music finger picking into McLaughlin, or the other way around, he came out with this total sonic mess. It took him two years to get straightened back out, and I don't think he has forgiven me yet.

Comment

Jazz seems to be high quality music, but I either agree with Cobain, or agree with what he said but didn't really mean. Except I don't know any jazz snobs...so I can't speak to their snobbery level.

I know I can be quite the music snob at times, but I don't think I've ever really conveyed that in here. Aside from using the handle of the greatest band ever led by an Irishman with horrible teeth.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        an Irishman with horrible teeth.
        but you repeat yourself
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

In just a few short years you all will be giving up your music to listen to talk radio. Oh sure you will hang on as the kids bring in their rebellious blather. You may even try to like some of it just to be cool (or whatever word they will be using for that). But you will fall back to the music of your youth. No matter how good it is you will eventually get tired of your three millionth listening of Stairway to Heaven, or your equivalent. You will start listening to music of your generation that you were too snoby to like at the time just because it will sound better to you than the new stuff. You may even try different genres, but it will be short lived. You will be glad that your old favorites reunite and tour to grab that last bit of fame and wring out every last dollar they can. You will not care that the young mock you, for you will be truly free to enjoy the moment as shared by your peer group. Unfortunately, attending one of these concerts will only re-interest you for a week or so and then back to talk radio. You think it will never happen to you, but it does. Even this is not a bad thing, just different.

So enjoy your music, don't care what others think! Seize that moment. For like youth it passes by quickly. If you want to argue about music enjoy that too.

"Get off my lawn!" - Robert Plant 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            In just a few short years you all will be giving up your music to listen to talk radio. Oh sure you will hang on as the kids bring in their rebellious blather. You may even try to like some of it just to be cool (or whatever word they will be using for that). But you will fall back to the music of your youth. No matter how good it is you will eventually get tired of your three millionth listening of Stairway to Heaven, or your equivalent. You will start listening to music of your generation that you were too snoby to like at the time just because it will sound better to you than the new stuff. You may even try different genres, but it will be short lived. You will be glad that your old favorites reunite and tour to grab that last bit of fame and wring out every last dollar they can. You will not care that the young mock you, for you will be truly free to enjoy the moment as shared by your peer group. Unfortunately, attending one of these concerts will only re-interest you for a week or so and then back to talk radio. You think it will never happen to you, but it does. Even this is not a bad thing, just different.

So enjoy your music, don't care what others think! Seize that moment. For like youth it passes by quickly. If you want to argue about music enjoy that too.

Is this a Gregg quote - If it is, is quite sad, innacurate and short sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              Is this a Gregg quote - If it is, is quite sad, innacurate and short sighted.
              Or maybe just pokin a little fun at everyone, me included.

Comment

I listen to music from early rock and roll to punk and ska. I'm good.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                  I listen to music from early rock and roll to punk and ska. I'm good.

And young!

Comment

Or maybe just pokin a little fun at everyone, me included.
                    OK - thats better -

There is some good new stuff out there even for the old guys

Comment

Even though I'm a fan of many different types of music, and even though I've always had the deepest admiration for the guitar skills of Clapton, Page, Hendrix, etc., I strongly believe jazz musicians, particularly jazz guitarists, are the most talented in the world. Depending upon the instrument, it's a close call between jazz and classical, but jazz guitarists are truly amazing.

Q: What's the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist? A: A rock guitarist knows three chords and plays to three thousand people. A jazz guitarist knows three thousand chords and plays to three people.

Q: What's the difference between a bassist and a large cheese pizza? A: A large cheese pizza can feed a family of four.

Comment

Q: How do you know when your band has hit the big time? A: When even the bass player gets laid after gigs.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                          Even though I'm a fan of many different types of music, and even though I've always had the deepest admiration for the guitar skills of Clapton, Page, Hendrix, etc., I strongly believe jazz musicians, particularly jazz guitarists, are the most talented in the world. Depending upon the instrument, it's a close call between jazz and classical, but jazz guitarists are truly amazing.

Q: What's the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist? A: A rock guitarist knows three chords and plays to three thousand people. A jazz guitarist knows three thousand chords and plays to three people.

Q: What's the difference between a bassist and a large cheese pizza? A: A large cheese pizza can feed a family of four.
                          Just picked up some Grant Green albums on vinyl.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                          X