Dead Mice Are Going To Be Dropped On Guam From Helicopters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Mice Are Going To Be Dropped On Guam From Helicopters

The idea is that brown tree snakes will eat these snacks from the sky. Then, it's hoped, the snakes will die because the mice will be laced with painkillers. The active ingredient in those drugs should be toxic to the snakes.

Here's the latest plan scientists have come up with to kill some of the estimated 2 million brown tree snakes that have wiped out many other animals on Guam:

In April or May they're going to lace dead mice with painkillers, attach them to little parachutes, drop them from helicopters and hope that they get snagged in the jungle foliage. Then, if all goes well, the snakes — which as their name implies hang out in trees — will eat the mice and die from ingesting the painkillers' active ingredients.

"Before the snakes arrived, Guam's ecosystem was very different. Numerous birds could be seen and heard when walking through the northern limestone forests. Without the birds to disperse seeds and the fact that nonnative pigs and deer tear up the ground and eat sapling plants, the native limestone forest has been severely degraded and will require extensive help in order to recover."
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

you missed "with tiny parachutes on" in the title.

I wonder if they'll mix in a few GI Joe figurines just for effect.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

"As God is my witness, I thought dead mice could fly!"

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Why would they put parachutes on dead mice? Snakes don't like to eat dead mice. They are lying. The mice are not dead. They just don't want PETA to get on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Why would they put parachutes on dead mice? Snakes don't like to eat dead mice. They are lying. The mice are not dead. They just don't want PETA to get on them.
          actually
          The strategy takes advantage of the snake's two big weaknesses. Unlike most snakes, brown tree snakes are happy to eat prey they didn't kill themselves, and they are highly vulnerable to acetaminophen, which is harmless to humans.

from
          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...world&ir=World

Comment

So, how do the snakes remove the tiny parachutes?

Comment

[QUOTE=eldiablo505;126738]They tempt others into doing it for them.[/QUOTE

Ok Snake, I laughed, now get thee behind me.

Comment

No truth to the rumor that the head scientist is Cosmo Kramer.

Comment

Working...
                X