Lie-berry stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lie-berry stuff...

I get a nice thank you note from a lady in NY for whom one of my librarians did some family research. And with it a nice check for..get this..ONE DOLLAR!

WTF? What kind of screwball writes a check for one dollar as a donation for a thank you?

OK. you can commence with the library jokes.....
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Maybe $1 was actually a sacrifice for her and she thought she was being generous and instead is being mocked on the internet?

Comment

I actually understand your bemusement on this one, since the organizational cost of processing the check and accounting for the dollar donation is probably way more than a dollar, but I assume it was intended earnestly as a token of thanks and support.

Comment

Come on Mith, The Dude wrote a check for $.69 for his half n half. This aggression will not stand, man!
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          Maybe $1 was actually a sacrifice for her and she thought she was being generous and instead is being mocked on the internet?
          Uh sure. That makes no sense . Sorry. It's more like a slap in the face. Don't send anything with the thank you, it looks better.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Come on Mith, The Dude wrote a check for $.69 for his half n half. This aggression will not stand, man!
            I guess i have to Abide!

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              And he post dates the check. Did you notice that?
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Jesus Mith, old woman, fixed income, wanted to show her thanks in a material token and sent your library just that-- a token of her thanks since she couldn't afford to send the gift she would have wanted to. I often happened that we returned something like that back when I worked as a peon in an Assemblyman's office doing constituent stuff-- you'd help old Mrs. X with her garbage collection or tax problem or something with the DMV and she'd write some small check or try to give you some token-- happened all the time. Maybe it's a NYC thing, I don't know but I doubt it. Is this the case in this situation? Who knows, but a charitable person would assume it could be, file away/throw away the check and graciously thank her for it.
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I don't know why I'm surprised since you're frequently jaded and seem like an absolutely miserable person, but I would just think that a librarian would appreciate any donation considering the boom of e-reading and digital media.

I don't remember any of the fundraisers for libraries that I've contributed to in the past having a minimum donation amount.

How much is it before you deem a donation personally appropriate.

This to me is clearly a small token of appreciation rather than the slap in the face that you seem to want it to be.

Of course this is a Mith thread so I'm sure after there are 30 posts or so he'll add in some huge piece of information that was left out to start with that will change everything.

Honestly Mith - for someone who seems so frustrated and exasperated about drama in your life you sure don't seem to hesitate to create it.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    I actually understand your bemusement on this one, since the organizational cost of processing the check and accounting for the dollar donation is probably way more than a dollar, but I assume it was intended earnestly as a token of thanks and support.
                    Oh i don't doubt it was an earnest token of thanks..but still...one dollar.....come on .

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                      Jesus Mith, old woman, fixed income, wanted to show her thanks in a material token and sent your library just that-- a token of her thanks since she couldn't afford to send the gift she would have wanted to. I often happened that we returned something like that back when I worked as a peon in an Assemblyman's office doing constituent stuff-- you'd help old Mrs. X with her garbage collection or tax problem or something with the DMV and she'd write some small check or try to give you some token-- happened all the time. Maybe it's a NYC thing, I don't know but I doubt it. Is this the case in this situation? Who knows, but a charitable person would assume it could be, file away/throw away the check and graciously thank her for it.
                      I just find it amusing...you know i like to share the oh so interesting stuff that happens with the public. you guys eat it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                        I don't know why I'm surprised since you're frequently jaded and seem like an absolutely miserable person, but I would just think that a librarian would appreciate any donation considering the boom of e-reading and digital media.

I don't remember any of the fundraisers for libraries that I've contributed to in the past having a minimum donation amount.

How much is it before you deem a donation personally appropriate.

This to me is clearly a small token of appreciation rather than the slap in the face that you seem to want it to be.

Of course this is a Mith thread so I'm sure after there are 30 posts or so he'll add in some huge piece of information that was left out to start with that will change everything.

Honestly Mith - for someone who seems so frustrated and exasperated about drama in your life you sure don't seem to hesitate to create it.
                        Maybe i'll send you a check for $1.00 for your oh so point on psychoanalysis of me.

I used that buck to buy a candy bar for some kids in the library. Miserable old coot that i am

Comment

Mith -

Hey if you don't want to $1.00, send it to my organization. I can't believe how condescending your comment is. The women shows her appreciate, and you totally invalidate it here on a message board. That is completely shameful for someone who is suppose to be working for the public good. I'll be honest, if I knew one person on you library board I'd let them know about your lack of appreciation of a patron.

I've worked in organizations struggling to make the payroll to an organization of $80,000,000. Never would I joke about someone making a gift. Good gravy, you never know Mith, perhaps she's showing you a token of her appreciation with that dollar, but you're research was so helpful she called her attorney to set up a charitable gift when she passes away. Who's gonna feel like an ass, then?

Shameful!
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

You guys are being awfully harsh on Mith. One dollar? That's almost as ridiculous as charging a $.25 a day fine for a library book being turned in past it's due date that no one else has checked out in 3 years.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

The over react pile on Mith train is out of the station again.

It's amazing the woman we know nothing about could afford to buy the stamp.

Comment

Working...
                              X