Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posting names of those who didn't pay their taxes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting names of those who didn't pay their taxes...

My hometown has posted the names of the property owners who did not pay their taxes last year on the city website. The total of unpaid taxes for 2012 is around $250,000.

Do any of your municipalities do anything like this?

Thoughts?

I love it!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    My hometown has posted the names of the property owners who did not pay their taxes last year on the city website. The total of unpaid taxes for 2012 is around $250,000.

Thoughts?

I love it!
    what if they didn't pay their property taxes because they got foreclosed? ..towns and cities give big tax breaks to companies like Nike and Apple... im just sayin.

Comment

Thoughts?

I love it!
      Ahhh, public shaming, nothing like going back to the Puritan days. Might as well get the stocks out and through feces and rotten vegetables at them as well.

You must really enjoy other people misery.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Thoughts?
        What is the total expected tax income for your municipality for the year 2012? Is $250K a large percentage of the total, or rather small?

So much other information is posted on the internet that shames others, so that in of itself is not a big deal. However, it could lead to other problems, such as predatory lenders and other dishonest types approaching the people on the list, trying to scam them out of their money, playing on their desperation to pay their tax bills and other bills.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Two thoughts... first, most of the numbers I've seen on public shaming (generally tied to solicitation of prostitutes) have shown it to be relatively ineffective in changing behaviors. Combine that with Pogues take and the questions it raises about the psychological issues inherent in this sort of behavior and it should be a non-starter.
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Some of the numbers inevitably will be outdated or inaccurate, of course. I'm sure those people will be thrilled. Heck, I'm sure that YOU will be thrilled.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Thoughts?

I love it!
              Then the local newspaper's Police Blotter must be like Christmas to you!

Here is a recreational reading for you...enjoy... www.springsgov.com/units/police/policeblotter

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Some of the numbers inevitably will be outdated or inaccurate, of course. I'm sure those people will be thrilled. Heck, I'm sure that YOU will be thrilled.
                Maybe some local official should be responsible for auditing them and keeping them up to date and accurate. Someone who has a lot of time on their hands. I dunno...the librarian?
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  Maybe some local official should be responsible for auditing them and keeping them up to date and accurate. Someone who has a lot of time on their hands. I dunno...the librarian?
                  And you could subsidize it by passing the charge on to Patrons of the library. Anyone who donates less than $1.01 by check will also be subject to public humiliation.

Comment

Is there an internet term for trolling a troll?
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                      Is there an internet term for trolling a troll?
                      problem is, Mith doesn't care. he just laughs at all the turmoil. People expend far too much effort arguing for the obvious right answer to all these posts.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Yes, I could take the high road and "not get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man" or I could call an asshole an asshole. I pick and choose which road I travel based on my mood that day.

Comment

Comment

After going through the online list, I don't expect the city to collect more than 15% of those delinquent taxes, just from knowing the areas and names involved. The majority of the people won't be offended or upset that they are on the list. Go ahead, accuse me of profiling.....so what. According to the mayor, the list will be updated frequently as the taxes are paid.

Comment

Working...
                            X