Chelyabinsk Says "BOOM!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelyabinsk Says "BOOM!"

With asteroid 2012DA14 scheduled to pass within ~17,000 miles of Earth at 2:25 EST today, the city of Chelyabinsk had a scary incident last night when a meteroite shower over the city went from "oooh, pretty lights" to a sizable airburst that blew the windows out of buildings all over town and injured hundreds.

Seems like a hell of a coincidence, eh? I'm guessing that not a few telescopes are focused on the asteroid this morning as people try to figure out if Chelyabinsk was a fragment of the asteroid that broke off, a wild coincidence, etc. 2012DA14 is supposed to pass over Indonesia when it makes its approach this afternoon; how reassured to you think Djakarta is about the assurances that the asteroid has literally no chance of landing on them?

Bryan Butler, as Official RJ House Astronomer, any thoughts?

Last edited by Bob Kohm; 02-15-2013, 07:22 AM.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Here's another video, but with absolutely amazing audio-- especially right around the 28 second mark. Also makes clear that this was a shower, not a single event-- huge smoke trails in the sky long before the explosion.

"There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Phil Plait has some good posts up on his Bad Astronomy blog about this stuff.

Comment

Wow, seems to be a crazy coincidence. Interesting universe

Comment

yeah - it's just a coincidence. cool footage though!

we'll be bouncing radar echoes off of 2012 DA14 tonight. a bit after closest approach (which just passed, BTW), but still a good opportunity to try to measure the shape and spin state of the thing...
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

This shows why Guile was the best Streetfighter character.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              This shows why Guile was the best Streetfighter character.
              Sure ... if you're a novice. If you're actually skilled then it's Ken or Ryu.

Comment

A was wondering why I saw a lot of videos being filmed from cars

---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                  Sure ... if you're a novice. If you're actually skilled then it's Ken or Ryu.
                  True ... but there was nothing better than beating an obnoxious Ken virtuoso by jab, back-dropping him in a corner ... shoryuken that bitch

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279629/Thats-meteor-American-weapon-test-Russian-politicians-bizarre-claim-10-ton-space-rock-Cuba-claims-hit-earlier-week.html

A Russian politician has claimed the meteor which struck the country yesterday was actually a clandestine American weapons test while claims have emerged that a sonic boom was also felt in Cuba.

Authorities say a 10 ton space rock, travelling at a speed of 33,000mph, hit the Earth's atmosphere with a force equivalent to 30 of the atomic bombs which destroyed the city of Hiroshima.

Comment

Two more possible meteor incidents

I'm guessing these things happen every week ... they just don't get reported until something like Chelyabinsk happens.
                      Last edited by johnnya24; 02-19-2013, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X