No announcement yet.

Best Zeppelin song ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've always been worried that i misunderstand led zepplin. they have so many songs about love. but they were influenced a little by the blues, right? on average how would you rate their lyrics? how many songs did they write about love and how many were about something else? why would i think the best music by a band ever was accompanied by the worst lyrics? it's because i don't know led zepplin.

i guess i'd go with Gallows Pole. i don't think their best songs should be about love. it should be about Kashmir, breaking levees and gallows poles.

..but you know, i bet they had a lot of fun writing their songs. when you can play music better than everyone else, you could write about almost anything you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
      i've always been worried that i misunderstand led zepplin. they have so many songs about love. but they were influenced a little by the blues, right? on average how would you rate their lyrics? how many songs did they write about love and how many were about something else? why would i think the best music by a band ever was accompanied by the worst lyrics? it's because i don't know led zepplin.

i guess i'd go with Gallows Pole. i don't think their best songs should be about love. it should be about Kashmir, breaking levees and gallows poles.

..but you know, i bet they had a lot of fun writing their songs. when you can play music better than everyone else, you could write about almost anything you wanted.
      Gallows Pole is a very old folk song.

I'd say about half their songs were about love, which is not unusual for a mainstream rock band. Many of the others were about hobbits and trolls and whatnot. Robert Plant was a big fan of Tolkien.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Gallows Pole is a very old folk song.

I'd say about half their songs were about love, which is not unusual for a mainstream rock band. Many of the others were about hobbits and trolls and whatnot. Robert Plant was a big fan of Tolkien.
        'Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor
        I met a girl oh so fair
        But Gollum and the Evil One
        Crept up and slipped away with her, her, aw yea

I'm the only one who considers 'Ramble On' one of their best?
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          you have to explain why tho. or example 'to find the queen of all my dreams'. you have to explain the biggest sentence in a song like that. ..im actually gonna go play lotro right now, but it's just another song man.

Comment

I do too. It's my favorite song on II.

Comment

you ever noticed how video games and quantum mechanics are similar? for example in grand theft auto, how different locations don't manifest until you enter them. not that life is a video game. but i always wanted to say that. heh

you are not allowed to pick ramble on even tho elf queens are hot. your not allowed to pick any song that says to find the queen of all my dreams. my god ramble on? why?
              Last edited by ; 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

'Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor
                I met a girl oh so fair
                But Gollum and the Evil One
                Crept up and slipped away with her, her, aw yea

Yes, one of the very best, and a blast to play. "What Is and What Should Never Be" is another. And "In My Time of Dying".

Listening to them as I did recently (I, II, III, IV, and Physical Graffiti), over and over again, adds a different perspective (and makes me realize how good III and IV really were). And my apologies to the HOTH and Presence fans. As for In Through the Out Door, and CODA, to each his own.

Comment

I liked Zepplin close to their blues roots
                  Dazed and Confused

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    Yes, one of the very best, and a blast to play. "What Is and What Should Never Be" is another. And "In My Time of Dying".

Listening to them as I did recently (I, II, III, IV, and Physical Graffiti), over and over again, adds a different perspective (and makes me realize how good III and IV really were). And my apologies to the HOTH and Presence fans. As for In Through the Out Door, and CODA, to each his own.
                    I've always thought Presence was vastly under appreciated by nearly everyone. Page OWNS that album and Bonham is ferocious throughout.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      I've always thought Presence was vastly under appreciated by nearly everyone. Page OWNS that album and Bonham is ferocious throughout.
                      Achilles is one of their very best songs. Totally epic.

Nobody's Fault but Mine is taught, fierce rocker that ranks with Communication Breakdown and Rock and Roll.

For Your Life is one of those songs that oozes its way into your brain. Great riffs.

The rest of the album isn't up to those standards. Royal Orleans is a fun slab of funk but nothing substantial. Candy Store Rock and Hots on for Nowhere never made much of an impression on me. The former is basically an Elvis impersonation and the latter is just sort of there. And we've discussed Tea for One before. To me it's arguably the most boring song in their catalog.

Comment

i don't care how overplayed and overhyped "stairway" is - it's that damned good.

if that's excluded, most people would probably go to "kashmir" next. but it seems weird to pick a song that is devoid of jimmy page's signature guitar playing.

my favorite zep song changes with time and with mood. today i'll say "over the hills and far away."

i think "in through the out door" would get more love if it hadn't come after years of epic music. you can't help but compare it to what came before, and anything would look weak compared to that output. in an alternate reality, if some unknown band with no history released that group of songs, i'll bet most zep fans would think it was a pretty good record.
                        ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                          i don't care how overplayed and overhyped "stairway" is - it's that damned good.

if that's excluded, most people would probably go to "kashmir" next. but it seems weird to pick a song that is devoid of jimmy page's signature guitar playing.

my favorite zep song changes with time and with mood. today i'll say "over the hills and far away."

i think "in through the out door" would get more love if it hadn't come after years of epic music. you can't help but compare it to what came before, and anything would look weak compared to that output. in an alternate reality, if some unknown band with no history released that group of songs, i'll bet most zep fans would think it was a pretty good record.
                          I definitely agree with your comments about ITTOD. It's a fantastic album.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Say It Ain't So! (Sure I'd heard the rumblings but never listened until today).

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Say It Ain't So! (Sure I'd heard the rumblings but never listened until today).

pretty crazy stuff.....I'd guess they figured they could rip off old bluesmen and not get caught, but the more modern stuff surprises me more....
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Fav, Stairway.

Oh, we must eliminate the overplayed, the too mainstream, the common on every station? I still pick Stairway. Deal with it, bastage, its the alpha.

Comment

Working...
                                X