Horse Meat Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    When I first arrived to live in Vienna, Austria my German was nicht so gut. So first time I went to the supermarket it was a bit of a struggle. I was looking around for some meat to throw in the spaghetti sauce I was going to make and found one that was dramatically cheaper than the others. Being a cheap ass, I bought it immediately. Only after consuming the meat did I come to find out that Pferdefleisch is horse meat.

Wasn't half bad, honestly.
    I also tried horse meat in Vienna, at a Mongolian Barbecue restaurant there. Of course, once you throw in all the rice and veggies and sauces every bowl of Mongolian Barbecue just tastes like Mongolian Barbecue.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      ahhh yes, my favourite quote of all time from rotojunkie (at least my 13 years here) ... I don't remember whose it was though ...
      Hehe... that was me. Still can't eat Taco Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        What is "a decent cut of horse meat", anyway?

Growing up in the sticks, I ate some weird protein, but never horse. The very idea makes me want to runnoft.
        I was thinking about the meat-meat (steak) as opposed to the intestine-brain-heart-asscavity-liver mince-mush we normally find in our processed food.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          Hehe... that was me. Still can't eat Taco Bell.
          i used to go once a year maybe ... after reading that quote I haven't been ... see what influence you have!!!
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Seafood Fraud Study By Oceana Reveals Widespread Mislabeling Nationwide

Oceana performed DNA testing from 2010 to 2012 on 1,215 fish samples from 674 retail outlets in 21 states. In this study, Oceana found seafood fraud everywhere it tested, with rates hitting as high as 52 percent in Southern California.

The report found that sushi restaurants have the worst level of mislabeling, at a staggering 74 percent. Thirty-eight percent of seafood at non-sushi restaurants was mislabeled and 18 percent at grocery stores.

“Some of the fish substitutions we found are just disturbing,” said Dr. Kimberly Warner, report author and senior scientist at Oceana, in a press release emailed to The Huffington Post. “Apart from being cheated, many consumers are being denied the right to choose fish wisely based on health or conservation concerns.”

For example, 84 percent of the white tuna samples were actually escolar, a species that is known to cause digestive issues for certain individuals. Oceana also found that overfished and vulnerable species were substituted for what are commonly known as more sustainable choices. Atlantic halibut was sold as Pacific halibut, and speckled hind sold as red grouper.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
            X