No announcement yet.

This day in history (March 6, 2011).....Griswold meets Shandler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love HQ and my personal favorite is Ray Murphy. Always helpful, personable and attentive.

I met Ron in Boston (along with Zola) and they were both very nice.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

All these guys you mentioned may be great, but I'm not sure I would generalize it to the fantasy baseball community. In my experience all the peep's I've come in contact with over at Baseball Prospectus have been complete douches.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        All these guys you mentioned may be great, but I'm not sure I would generalize it to the fantasy baseball community. In my experience all the peep's I've come in contact with over at Baseball Prospectus have been complete douches.
        Do you find that the douche-ness is a requirement for employment or they become douches once hired?
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
          Do you find that the douche-ness is a requirement for employment or they become douches once hired?
          The age old nature vs. nurture question, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            "Wow, All Star Stats sure went down hill fast once he left."

They did, but they're pretty much back to that level now...
            Good to hear. We left them years ago -- just too expensive and the customer service sucked. Now all the web sites have the same features at half the cost or more.
            “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
            -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Amen to that!

Wait...
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

especially when they are taking my money in poker during the AFL! (of course, solo-smoking so much stank that people thought there was a skunk outside didn't play any part in my poor poker play....)
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  Amen to that!

Wait...
                  Indeed

I can only speak to Normandin, Jaffe, and (formerly) Sheehan. All are great guys, even if Sheehan can't find a diner open in NYC at 3am on a Sunday.

Comment

In my experience, there is a lot of douchiness in general when it comes to baseball writers. My issue sometimes are the bloggers who are all wannabe junior journalists and all take turns washing each other's balls and thumbs-upping everything each other does.

It's not everyone but it gets old to me and makes me want to stay out of that aspect in general.

I've never had any issues with BP guys or anyone at HQ but I also keep everyone at arm's length so I am sure that plays a role.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                      In my experience, there is a lot of douchiness in general when it comes to baseball writers.
                      Eh, I was just busting on Kev, with pleasing collateral damage to MJ.

Comment

Baseball Prospectus can hardly be called part of the fantasy baseball community. For years, they refused to address in any meaningful way the demands of the fantasy player. Finally, and only recently, they began to list dollar values and have "fantasy baseball friendly" areas of their online service. The attitude I got from them was that they didn't like fantasy players (we're beneath them), but the marketplace forced them to accommodate us to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                          In my experience, there is a lot of douchiness in general when it comes to baseball writers. My issue sometimes are the bloggers who are all wannabe junior journalists and all take turns washing each other's balls and thumbs-upping everything each other does.

It's not everyone but it gets old to me and makes me want to stay out of that aspect in general.

I've never had any issues with BP guys or anyone at HQ but I also keep everyone at arm's length so I am sure that plays a role.
                          Wow. After 25 years as a player, I became a blog contributor last week. Nobody told me I'd have to wash anyone's balls. I need to take a look at that contract again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                            Wow. After 25 years as a player, I became a blog contributor last week. Nobody told me I'd have to wash anyone's balls. I need to take a look at that contract again.
                            that's how they git ya.

Comment

Yeah, keep the soap handy! lol

Comment

The attitude I got from them was that they didn't like fantasy players (we're beneath them)
                                And a double amen to that! Can I get a second?
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X