Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SpaceX "chopsticks" catch Starship super-heavy booster on first try!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX "chopsticks" catch Starship super-heavy booster on first try!

This is considered a very significant step forward for space travel and looks super cool too:

Now, you may already know that SpaceX has been landing and reusing rocket boosters for several years now. To my understanding the significance of this latest feat is that this is the first time a booster this heavy has successfully landed back on Earth for reuse to launch another rocket. Starship is the rocket that is expected to power a spacecraft to Mars in the future. This booster supposedly has a dry weight of about 200 tons and is 233 feet high. Also, to my understanding, this is a more convenient way of relanding boosters, as the method before was to land them on a platform on a ship in the ocean. As one news reporter put it, Elon Musk may be getting into trouble here on Earth, but in Space, he's doing pretty well.

Last summer when I was on vacation in Virgina Beach, I saw a straight line of lights moving at a pretty fast speed through the nighttime sky. It was pretty unnerving, like it was an alien invasion! After some research, it turned out it was SpaceX's Skylink satellite train, which none of us had ever heard of before.

Comment

Working...
    X