Sports Illustrated RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Illustrated RIP

Sports Illustrated’s entire staff was told Thursday that they are getting laid off.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Farewell swimsuit models.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Almost 70 years old.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

And that first issue had a centerfold /uncut sheet of 27 Topps baseball cards including Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, and Ted Williams!

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Initially shocked, but not really surprising after reflection. They felt like such an institution that they would always be around, but at the same time, I have never subscribed, and I don't know anyone that does. Still, a shame. That first edition with those cards is amazing.

Comment

Reading more about it, it seems like it might not be quite dead, although it has been on a long march toward death for awhile. But I'm reading it will still be a website/online mag.

Comment

It definitely was a little surprising, but like it was said above, I never subscribed and never knew anyone who did. I'm not 100% sure that it's totally dead, but that AI scandal that was revealed last month was ridiculous and probably the final nail in the coffin. When I was a college journalist, my sports editor at the school paper later went on to be a longtime respected editor and writer for SI, so I'm sure he's bummed.

Comment

I only subscribed for one year when I was in high school. I think it was something like 52 issues for $15.99 back in the early 80's. My decision to subscribe was heavily influenced by Christie Brinkley lol.

Now, I only buy single issues as collectibles if there is a Steelers or Pirates player on the cover. I probably have more than 50 different issues now dating back to the early 70's.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X