1 song a week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 song a week

My niece is 13 and just stated 7th grade. I asked her a while ago what bands she was into and she said "I'm not really into bands. I just find songs I like on youtube and listen to them." I figured she was listening to Olivio Rodrigo or whatever else is this generation's beiber. I saw she had Tears for Fears Everybody Wants to Rule the World on her playlist and asked her about it. She said she stumbled on it on youtube and really liked it.

This got me thinking about what other songs she might like from the 80s-90s and I was going to put together a play list for her, but RJEL Wife said this was a sure way to make her hate all of it. Making her slog through 30 songs, 70% of which she will probably dislike, is just going to turn her off and tune her out to all of it. So I came up with a better idea. 1 song a week for 2024. I'll send her one song to listen to each Friday night. That is a 4 minute commitment each week, and it's over quick if she doesn't like something.

Players involved:
    Bro - 50 yo - Grew up around me so has similar tastes. More 90s than 80s though
    SIL - 43 yo - Grew up with very little music in the house. She claims she grew up with 5 CDs total.
    Niece - 13 yo. The protagonist of our playlists.
    Nephew - 10 yo. Not really a music fan outside of Disney, Uptown Funk and playing air guitar to Eruption,​

I figure I've gotta build up some good will before I start dropping some REM and Clash on her.
    I want to keep it light for the most part. Don't want to be a bad influence or anything.

What else?

So Far:

WEEK 1: Head over Heels - Tears for Fears - 3 upvotes with my nephew discenting
    WEEK 2: Christmas week - Christmas is a Time to say I Love You - Billy Squire - Bro liked it, said you don't hear if often, rest of the family did not
    WEEK 3: Family was on a trip to LA - I Love LA - Randy Newman - Topical and they played it a lot. Newman has done a ton of Disney stuff as well, so they were familiar. Bit hit all around.
    Week 4 - What you Need - INXS​ - Bro/SIL/Nephew scored 10. Niece scored 8​
    Week 5 - Dido - Thank You - One of only 5 CDs SIL greq up with. Very excited for itNiece "this is a good song"
    Week 6 - The Cure - Just Like Heaven - Niece 10/10. Bro 8, Nephew liked it, Friend niece had over 8.5.
    Last edited by heyelander; 01-29-2024, 01:39 PM.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Maybe I'm stereotyping here, but I have to think that a 13 year old girl isn't going to be into hard rock. So, here's some 80's pop hits that I like. Maybe some 80's hair metal power ballad type stuff would work too.

Boy Meets Girl - Waiting For A Star (often forgotten song by a one hit wonder)
    Starship - Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now
    Mathew Wilder - Break My Stride (another one hit wonder)
    Thompson Twins - Hold Me now
    Duran Duran - Ordinary World
    When In Rome - The Promise (one hit wonder)
    Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me
    Flesh For Lulu - I go Crazy
    The Go Gos - Vacation
    Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car
    A Flock Of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song
    Pat Benatar - We Belong
    Cindy Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
    Scandal w/Patti Smyth - Goodbye To You
    Katrina & The Waves - Walking On Sunshine (one hit wonder)
    The Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut
    Bow Wow Wow - I want Candy (one hit wonder)
    Adam Ant - Goody Two Shoes
    Animotion - Obsession (one hit wonder)
    The Romantics - Talking In Your Sleep
    Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
    The Knack - My Sharona
    Loverboy - Everybody's Working For The Weekend
    A-ha - Take On Me
    Last edited by madducks; 12-11-2023, 03:34 PM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      My niece is 13 and just stated 7th grade. I asked her a while ago what bands she was into and she said "I'm not rezikz ally into bands. I just find songs I like on youtube and listen to them." I figured she was listening to Olivio Rodrigo or whatever else is this generation's beiber. I saw she had Tears for Fears Everybody Wants to Rule the World on her playlist and asked her about it. She said she stumbled on it on youtube and really liked it.

This got me thinking about what other songs she might like from the 80s-90s and I was going to put together a play list for her, but RJEL Wife said this was a sure way to make her hate all of it. Making her slog through 30 songs, 70% of which she will probably dislike, is just going to turn her off and tune her out to all of it. So I came up with a better idea. 1 song a week for 2024. I'll send her one song to listen to each Friday night. That is a 4 minute commitment each week, and it's over quick if she doesn't like something.

Figured I would start off with Head over Heals since she already likes Tears for Fears.

Other stuff I thought of:
      I've become a huge INXS far for some reason. Beautiful Girl, What you Need, Not Enough Time, Disapear
      Friday I'm in Love, Just Like Heaven - Cure (and Pictures of You if she seems to like the Cure)
      GoGos - We Got the Beat
      Dido - Thank You
      Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
      Big Country - In a Big Country (because it's me)
      Flock of Seaguls
      Ah-ha
      The Cars
      B52s - Roam
      Bowie - Modern Love
      Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere
      Police - Sending out an SOS
      Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker

I figure I've gotta build up some good will before I start dropping some REM and Clash on her.
      I want to keep it light for the most part. Don't want to be a bad influence or anything.

What else?
      This is an exceelent question. My daughters are in their early 20's now, I should probably ask them about some dad tunes they like. But based off my memory and my opinion, here are a few, not my favorites, but maybe something a teen girl might like and songs that are 80's/90's vibe :

One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head. My daughter and her friends heard this and thought it was super cool. Kinda a one hit wonder though
      Smell's like teen spirit or Come as you are - Nirvana
      Pop Muzik - M If she's into rollerskating, lol
      Video Killed the Radio Star - the buggles, weird 80's pop
      Our House - Madness
      Jump - Van Halen, not their best but somewhat catchy and maybe a good introduction to VH
      Some Huey Lewis Song ? I want a new drug ?
      Jerry Rafferty - Right down the line....more of a 70's tune, but my daughter heard it on a movie sound track and liked it

---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

This is an exceelent question. My daughters are in their early 20's now, I should probably ask them about some dad tunes they like. But based off my memory and my opinion, here are a few, not my favorites, but maybe something a teen girl might like and songs that are 80's/90's vibe :

One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head. My daughter and her friends heard this and thought it was super cool. Kinda a one hit wonder though
        Smell's like teen spirit or Come as you are - Nirvana
        Pop Muzik - M If she's into rollerskating, lol
        Video Killed the Radio Star - the buggles, weird 80's pop
        Our House - Madness
        Jump - Van Halen, not their best but somewhat catchy and maybe a good introduction to VH
        Some Huey Lewis Song ? I want a new drug ?
        Jerry Rafferty - Right down the line....more of a 70's tune, but my daughter heard it on a movie sound track and liked it

Come on Eileen, ha ha, but she has probably heard that
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Ah, I like Come on Eileen
          Good picks - Huey Lewis, Thompson Twins, Simple Minds, Adam Ant, Pet Shop Boys (What have a done to Deserve this?), Flock of Seagulls, Romantics

Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days
          Michael Penn - No Myth
          Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine
          Tracy Chapman - Give me one Reason

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (probably a bad choice, but I like it)

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            Ah, I like Come on Eileen
            Good picks - Huey Lewis, Thompson Twins, Simple Minds, Adam Ant, Pet Shop Boys (What have a done to Deserve this?), Flock of Seagulls, Romantics

Wang Chung - Dance Hall Days
            Michael Penn - No Myth
            Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine
            Tracy Chapman - Give me one Reason

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (probably a bad choice, but I like it)
            Guns-n roses ? Some classic late 80s early 90s songs
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Pearl Jam has some good songs from that time frame as well, not sure that is in the teen girl wheelhouse
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

How about:

"Walk Like An Egyptian" - The Bangles
                "Come Dancing" - The Kinks
                "Our Lips Are Sealed" - The Go-Gos
                "Constant Craving" - K.D. Lang
                "All I Wanna Do" - Sheryl Crow
                "Because the Night" - 10,000 Maniacs
                ​"Lovefool" - The Cardigans
                "Africa" - Toto

And since she likes "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", how about "Head Over Heels", which is my favorite Tears For Fears song?

Also, if she is amenable to a sweet, somber, nostalgic song, how about "This Used To Be My Playground" by Madonna?

Comment

The Go-Go's & Simple Minds are a good choice.

I'll add:
                  "Our House" by Madness
                  "Goody Two Shoes" by Adam Ant
                  "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles
                  "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne
                  "Power of Love" by Huey Lewis & the News
                  Any early 80s Duran Duran

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Guns-n roses ? Some classic late 80s early 90s songs
                    i wasn't sure how she would take some harder classic rock, although I do know she likes some AC/DC. I probably still see her as a 6 year old girl when I think about her. I'll ask her to rate the stuff I send and tweak my internal algorythm for what I send as we go.

Comment

Hmm... I like Trouble Me by 10,000 Maniacs.

I've heard Lovefool a million times, but never knew that was the name or that it was the Cardigans. Good choice.

I do plan on making Head over Heals my first submission.

Comment

How can you send her one song a week without sending her "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          How can you send her one song a week without sending her "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies?
                          Fantastic Point! Maybe I make that my first choice!!

Comment

So, which songs did you get her?

Comment

I started a bit early
                              I copied her mom and dad in so that it didn't seem weird I was sending music to my 13 year old niece. My brother and SIL aren't really like that, but better that they know what is up in her life than not. Her mom has been playing them for tor the whole fam, so there's a 10 year old boy involved as well. I don't think I'll curtail my choices based on him though. I also chose some topical stuff to start.

I'll keep updating this and compile it all in the first post of the thread.

So players involved:
                              Bro - 50 yo - Grew up around me so has similar tastes. More 90s than 80s though
                              SIL - 43 yo - Grew up with very little music in the house. She claims she grew up with 5 CDs total.
                              Niece - 13 yo. The protagonist of our playlists.
                              Nephew - 10 yo. Not really a music fan outside of Disney, Uptown Funk and playing air guitar to Eruption,

WEEK 1: Head over Heels - Tears for Fears - 3 upvotes with my nephew discenting
                              WEEK 2: Christmas week - Christmas is a Time to say I Love You - Billy Squire - Bro liked it, said you don't hear if often, rest of the family did not
                              WEEK 3: Family was on a trip to LA - I Love LA - Randy Newman - Topical and they played it a lot. Newman has done a ton of Disney stuff as well, so they were familiar. Big hit all around.

I heard Wang Chung Dance Hall Days when I was thinking of week 3 and was considering To Live and Die in LA but thought I Love LA would be friendlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X