Second property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I worked an archaeology job outside of Tuscon (and another outside Tempe) and it was so freaking hot I literally thought I was going to die a couple times. We had to take breaks every 30 minutes or so, it was so brutal.
    I've always thought it would be fascinating to dive some of the native american ruins that were flooded by Lake Powell. Any thoughts on how you would go about finding spots that were likely to yield ruins?
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues
      Quito, Ecuador? The average high ranges from 64 in January to 67 in Aug/Sept/Oct.

Sure, it rains some...but only about 38 inches a year.

Hey, you never said US only.

That's my retirement plan.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        I've always thought it would be fascinating to dive some of the native american ruins that were flooded by Lake Powell. Any thoughts on how you would go about finding spots that were likely to yield ruins?
        they surveyed them before the dam was built. pretty extensively. see http://www.az-arch-and-hist.org/2011...n-archaeologo/ for instance.
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
          they surveyed them before the dam was built. pretty extensively. see http://www.az-arch-and-hist.org/2011...n-archaeologo/ for instance.
          yeah, I would need to get hold of a survey map. There's not a whole lot of wandering around you can do if you are diving. It's dark, you can only go so deep, and you are on a clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
            Mac- I'm aware of your Florida residency - I spent several years of another life in the military tear assing and sneaking around in the jungles of Southeast Asia and then South and Central America. ..I have developed a strong aversion for humid environments and a dislike of sweaty and wet sheen on my skin as soon as you walk out a door or get out of a car...

I travel to Florida on business a minimum of six times a year - The only thing I look forward to seeing in Florida are a couple of clients that keep us busy, a once a year visit with old buddy who retired & lives in the Keys and fresh wild grouper for dinner.....Florida weather sux brutha
            I have to side with Frank on this one. I spent a lot of time in Florida over the years (both grandmothers lived there through the late 1970s, and my dad was there 1989-2002). Summers were simply miserable, both coasts. Southeast part of the state (Palm Beach-Broward-Dade counties) is crappy anytime, bad traffic, rain almost every day in spring and fall, and almost no one speaks English that I can understand (Hammer, as a NY area guy, you'd do a little better but not much).

Of the areas I've spent a little time in, for "retirement" I'd go with the Piedmont area of North Carolina. I don't have the meteorological numbers handy, but it's always been pleasant when I've been there, and it's far from the hurricane-prone areas of the state.

Farther west--If Texas strikes your fancy, the Hill Country may be the best part of the state. Most of the rest of the state is just too hot, the Houston area far too hot AND humid. Dallas has the handicap of being full of Cowboys fans, and it's also hot. Northern New Mexico is nice if you like it dry. If mountain living appeals to you, northern and western Colorado are another nice place; the farther you get from Denver the better.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Working...
            X