Best baseball books of 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best baseball books of 2012?

I'm looking for some new reading, so I posed the question on Twitter, "What were the best baseball-related books from 2012?

Here are some of the answers I got:

Imperfect, autobiography of Jim Abbott, with Tim Brown
    Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick, by Paul Dickson
    Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball, by R.A. Dickey
    The Signal and The Noise, by Nate Silver (not strictly baseball related)
    The Baseball Thesaurus, by Jesse Goldberg-Strassler
    Art of Fielding, by Chad Harbach

Any recommendations from the pen, or thoughts on the books above?

We could turn this into "best baseball books" in general, too, if people want to mention books from earlier years.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Steve Blass: A Pirate for Life
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Was Art of Fielding this year? I really enjoyed that book.

Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game = by Dan Barry ... from 2011, but I read it this year and really enjoyed it.

Comment

One of the best books I've ever read, though not from this year, was Lords of the Realm (1994) by John Helyar. Some other great baseball books:

- October 1964 by David Halberstam
        - summer of '49 by David Halberstam
        - Crazy '08 by Cait Murphy

Comment

I think Art of Fielding was actually 2011, but I'm not feeling to legalistic...more looking for good recent books I haven't read.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            One of the best books I've ever read, though not from this year, was Lords of the Realm (1994) by John Helyar. Some other great baseball books:

I loved The Teammates by Halberstam.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Was Art of Fielding this year? I really enjoyed that book.

Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game = by Dan Barry ... from 2011, but I read it this year and really enjoyed it.
              That looks like a fun one.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                I'm borrowing a copy of this from a co-worker, so it'll be the first one I read on the list.

Comment

How about "The Original Curse" by Sean Deveney, about the speculation that the Cubs threw the 1918 WS, a year before the Black Sox scandal?

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    I tried to read it, but every time I reached for it, it sailed up and away.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Crazy '08 was a great read.

I just bought Odd Man Out by Matt McCarthy and it looks really good. Came out in 2009. Art of Fielding is next on my list to read.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                      X