Trucking company..excuse me????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trucking company..excuse me????

I have about 200 boxes of books that the library is giving to a company that distributes the books around the world to places that could use them. The books are picked up by a trucking company who are being paid to do so.

The trucking company calls me to tell me the date of the pickup and asks me, "will there be anyone at your library that can help load the boxes"? WTF? Your company is paid to come pick up and load the boxes.. That's what your business is!!!!! Unbelievable.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Sounds like a request rather than a demand. Maybe they simply want to know if they need to send another person. Maybe they want to find out if you have some lifting equipment? Will the boxes be loose or on a pallet?

200 boxes full of books is a lot for one driver to load up. Maybe there are weight restrictions to the amount a driver can be expected to lift and load?

Seems like a pretty normal request to me.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Sounds like a request rather than a demand. Maybe they simply want to know if they need to send another person. Maybe they want to find out if you have some lifting equipment? Will the boxes be loose or on a pallet?

200 boxes full of books is a lot for one driver to load up. Maybe there are weight restrictions to the amount a driver can be expected to lift and load?

Seems like a pretty normal request to me.
      WOW to your response Johnny. Also unbelievable. The company is paid to load the boxes so why would they even ask if there is someone to help them? Asking is ridiculous.

If they want to know specifics like you mentioned, then ask those questions. If 200 boxes is too much for one guy then send two or get a guy who isn't wimp and can load 200 boxes. THEY ARE BEING PAID TO DO THIS!!! If your company wants the job, then do it.

Do you help the moving company load your stuff when you move?

I figured someone would disagree with me
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Is this a delivery firm / courier like DHL UPS?

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          I have about 200 boxes of books that the library is giving to a company that distributes the books around the world to places that could use them. The books are picked up by a trucking company who are being paid to do so.

The trucking company calls me to tell me the date of the pickup and asks me, "will there be anyone at your library that can help load the boxes"? WTF? Your company is paid to come pick up and load the boxes.. That's what your business is!!!!! Unbelievable.
          A simple "No, there will not, our employees will be working their normal jobs" would have been the easiest thing
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            A simple "No, there will not, our employees will be working their normal jobs" would have been the easiest thing
            i did say a polite no.

Comment

i did say a polite no.
              So what's the issue? I don't get it? Did they say you "have" to have someone to help?

Comment

Is this a delivery firm / courier like DHL UPS?
                No. They are a trucking company..with semi's, tractor trailers, etc..

Comment

So what's the issue? I don't get it? Did they say you "have" to have someone to help?
                  My issue is why they would even ask? To me it's indicative of the way too many people think nowadays..they want something for nothing. If your job is to load items and that is what you are paid to do, then do your damn job.

Comment

My issue is why they would even ask? To me it's indicative of the way too many people think nowadays..they want something for nothing. If your job is to load items and that is what you are paid to do, then do your damn job.
                    a polite NO - which is what you did is fine.

and indicative of your personality is to turn a seemingly minor containable issue into an agenda of the entire society - this also helps contribute to people ignoring complex legitimate gripes that might warrant feedback

Comment

No. They are a trucking company..with semi's, tractor trailers, etc..
                      Pretty common for a logistics company to want to know the lie of the land when they get to a job. The supervisor will have to manage the amount of pick ups his drivers will have to do, or who does what collection, and will therefore have to estimate how long each job will take. 200 boxes is going to take a while for one person to load by hand if there is no lifting equipment.

I just fail to see the issue. Anywhere I've worked we'd always get our guys to help out loading if possible. It pays to build up good relations with suppliers and delivery firms ... then when you have to ask for a last minute or weird weekend collection / delivery you have some goodwill to cash in.

Maybe the guy is just used to dealing with reasonable clients

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        Why does Fresno always get what i'm serving

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          a polite NO - which is what you did is fine.

and indicative of your personality is to turn a seemingly minor containable issue into an agenda of the entire society - this also helps contribute to people ignoring complex legitimate gripes that might warrant feedback

How does this contribute to anything but a discussion on a message board? and this site is so full of legitimate gripes warranting feedback

Maybe indicative of your personality to blow out of proportion a minor complaint i have.

Comment

Pretty common for a logistics company to want to know the lie of the land when they get to a job. The supervisor will have to manage the amount of pick ups his drivers will have to do, or who does what collection, and will therefore have to estimate how long each job will take. 200 boxes is going to take a while for one person to load by hand if there is no lifting equipment.

I just fail to see the issue. Anywhere I've worked we'd always get our guys to help out loading if possible. It pays to build up good relations with suppliers and delivery firms ... then when you have to ask for a last minute or weird weekend collection / delivery you have some goodwill to cash in.

Maybe the guy is just used to dealing with reasonable clients
                            Or maybe they are just lazy

BTW i did help the last company (different company) load 150 boxes on a previous job Difference was that company didn't ask for help. One guy came and he was a nice dude so i was more than glad to help. of my own accord. So i'm pretty reasonable.

Comment

Or maybe they are just lazy
                              So you expect them to turn up at every job in a 50 footer with spare workers "just in case" ...

You really thinks it's unreasonable to find out if you have a warehouse crew? A dedicated loading and unloading crew who generally help with collections and deliveries?

Why is that unreasonable?

Comment

Working...
                              X