Anyone here use Directv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here use Directv?

After months of problems with Time Warner Cable, we've been thinking of switching to Directv. I wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with them? Would love to hear impressions -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. Fire away!

I switched over a few years ago, it was recommended by SeaDogStat, and I'm very happy with it. The signal goes out on rare occasions from heavy rain or something like that. I never lost signal during hurricane Sandy (but being in Boston we didn't get the worst of the storm).

I had Comcast and the mlb extra innings package only had a few games in HD while DirecTV has all games in HD.

My biggest disappointment is the on demand isn't as good as Comcast's but there is so much stuff on line now that it's not really a problem.

I think the new DVR boxes allow you to record 5 shows at once, mine is only 2, so that is pretty nice.

If you decide to switch let me know, I can get you (and myself) $100 off. I'll need to give you my account number to give them when you order it.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I have had directv for about 15 years now except for a short period when I moved and lived in an apartment with cable. I would never go back to cable except for circumstances like I had where I had no choice. I like the price and channel selection. When I lived in Arkansas I would lose the signal during thunderstorms but here in Utah I have lost the signal once for about 1 hour in 7 years. The snow isn't as big a problem as thunderstorms. Living in SD you probably don't have to worry about either of those.

Comment

Ditto for all that was said above...I was one of the original subscribers, and have had nothing but positive experiences. They pioneered the sports packages (can't recommend the MLB channel too highly) and keep on top of the technology as well.

If you do decide to sign up, use Bucky's name and I'll make him take me out for a Lobster dinner if I ever get to Boston...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm going to get rid of cable altogether. It will create $100 back in my pocket but I will lose a lot of games by doing it. Everything else is kind of transferable to online or Netflix but games are going to have to be fewer and farther between

Good luck with Satellite. It's a different animal. Some people like it and others are up on a ladder cutting branches, swearing and repeatedly re-positioning. lol
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I have it. I like it. The only problem I have is that they do not give loyal customers upgrades without threatening to leave. Several years ago I wanted to go to HD DVR they would not give me a break.They wanted me to pay more than new subscribers. I told them to transfer me to customer service and told them to cancel my account. They asked why, I told them, they fixed it. I got the upgrade. I should not have to do this.

Comment

I would go with Dish if that is an option. A lot of the billing problems I had with TW I also had with DirectTV.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I actually just left Directv. Because I work from home some of the time, I need a reliable high-speed internet connection, so I was already paying the cable company too much money per month just for that. I got a 2-year price lock from my local cable provider without a contract and it's only about $30/month more than what I was paying them for just internet. Directv tried to give me $20 off per month to stop me from leaving, but after two years of all their new account incentives going away, I was paying a lot more than I should have been. I don't have the time or energy to call them and fight for discounts. I still get MLB Network in HD, so it's fine with me.
                "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

I switched from DirecTV to Dish...they're pretty similar and Dish was willing to give me their discounted price after the 2-year contract (of course after I threatened to cancel my account).
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    I switched from DirecTV to Dish...they're pretty similar and Dish was willing to give me their discounted price after the 2-year contract (of course after I threatened to cancel my account).
                    Does Dish offer any of the sports packages?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Used Direct TV for 10 + yrs, have never had issues with billing or service.
                      Equipment is top shelf.

Careful with DISH as there are some good channel's & shows you could be interested in that Dish does not offer --Do your research and diligence before making a decision.
                      Directs channel offering includes everything DISH offers.

In order for Buckey to receive credit for a referral - he will need to provide you with DIRECT TV account number.

I doubt Direct TV automatically upgrades your in home equipment without prompting, it's your responsibility to keep up with technology, features, benefits and to negotiate your best deal.
                      Last edited by ; 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Agree with all about the DirecTv negotiation being the suck... that's the only negative I have though.

One of the pups partially chewed an elongated coax cable in the bedroom when their chew toy went underneath the dresser and they were trying to get it.

We called for a service appt ($50 service charge since it was our fault) and after making the appt, Mrs. SDS wanted the whole home dvr setup. So I call back... 300 for whole house but then no charge for service repair...

I set it up again... then I remember the whole RJ thread about threatening to cancel... call back again, tell them I've changed my mind, switching to cable and voilá... no service charge, whole house dvr and HBO/Cinemax free for three months.

I hate doing that because it feels disingenuous when I would never switch back to Time Warner Cable but as others say, its up to you to negotiate the best deal.

When the service kid came... he trimmed the branches around the dish because he didn't like the signal strength on the HD band. He came back and asked if he could first and said there were a couple he couldn't reach and I said I have a telescoping tree pruner and he went back out and did those as well.

I gave him a 20 buck tip and a glowing review for his service call appt... I have no gripes with DirecTv service just the rigamaroll you have to do to get the best price.
                        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Does Dish offer any of the sports packages?
                          There is a multi sport add on under ala carte. Its $9 a month and includes Red Zone.
                          Switch to DISH to enjoy the best value in TV with a 2-year price guarantee, award winning technology, and satellite television's top-rated customer service. Learn more on our official site or call us today.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            There is a multi sport add on under ala carte. Its $9 a month and includes Red Zone.
                            Switch to DISH to enjoy the best value in TV with a 2-year price guarantee, award winning technology, and satellite television's top-rated customer service. Learn more on our official site or call us today.

J
                            Hmmm, I can get Cricket and Soccer, but not full NFL games, or baseball at all...I'll pass on that.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Hmmm, I can get Cricket and Soccer, but not full NFL games, or baseball at all...I'll pass on that.
                              LOL....Cricket.......more fun than human beings should be allowed to have

Comment

Working...
                              X