Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE greatest album in the pop/rock era...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I think Jimi Hendrix is the only person of color even mentioned in this thread.

If we're truly looking for the greatest pop or rock album, certainly Thriller has to be mentioned, right?
    I was (and am) not a Michael Jackson fan at all, but Thriller was an amazing LP, not to mention that it was very important and influencial in modern dance; many have compared him to the Gene Kelly of his era. I personally like Hendrix's stuff better, but I'd certainly not insult anyone for choosing Thriller.

OTOH, in terms of pure brilliance out of an African-American artist, Prince's Purple Rain stands only a half-step or so below Hendrix, IMO.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      "Could You Be the One" is better than anything on Zen Arcade...
      Newest Industry and Chartered Trips kick the crap out of anything on Warehouse.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

from my favorite old school R&B album

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          And Turn On the News.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Here are the top 20 selling albums of all time. Some are pretty lol-able:
            Is that adjusted per disc?

Double albums get counted as two sales. And there are a lot of doubles on there.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              "Could you be the one" is quite possibly the best song of the 1980's. period.

She Floated Away...These Important Years...Charity, Chastity...Visionary..Turn it Around..Bed of Nails all great tunes..

There is no denying the greatness of Zen Arcade, I just prefer my Husker Du with more melody and catchy riffs and Warehouse fits that much better than Zen Arcade.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                "Could you be the one" is quite possibly the best song of the 1980's. period.
                Love the song but I don't think it would crack my top 10 songs from the 80s. Would make a great thread on its own.

1-There is a Light That Never Goes Out-The Smiths
                2-Academy Fight Song-Mission of Burma
                3-A Million Miles Away-The Plimsouls
                Last edited by ; 03-08-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HellToupee View Post
                  Love the song but I don't think it would crack my top 10 songs from the 80s. Will add some examples later
                  I am willing to bet that we pick some of the same artists but with different songs - and there are way to many genres to choose from.

I saw we battle on 10 greatest 80s new wave songs only.

I'll start
                  Number 10

Comment

Here's the best song from the 80s that no one has ever heard. Yeah, I'm a power pop junkie.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by HellToupee View Post
                        Love the song but I don't think it would crack my top 10 songs from the 80s. Would make a great thread on its own.

1-There is a Light That Never Goes Out-The Smiths
                        2-Academy Fight Song-Mission of Burma
                        3-A Million Miles Away-The Plimsouls
                        The two best songs of the 1980's:

Radio Free Europe - REM

Master of Puppets - Metallica

A few others I think are heads and tails above the rest:

Brand New Cadillac - The Clash
                        Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
                        When Doves Cry - Prince
                        Sweet Child o Mine - GnR
                        Head On - Jesus and Mary Chain
                        Could You Be the One - Husker Du
                        Last edited by Mithrandir; 03-08-2011, 11:47 PM.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                        X