Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

two year old boy mauled to death at Pgh zoo..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two year old boy mauled to death at Pgh zoo..

Did you see this horrific story?

How does one recover from this if you were the mother? The father?

Do you recover?

Easy to place the blame, but nobody is a perfect parent. No parent deserves this to happen to their child no mater how poor their decision making.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Such a horrible tragedy. The dogs are my daughter's favorite exhibit. We have seen them so many times.

I don't understand how the mom (or anyone else) didn't jump down there to help the kid. If that was my kid, I'd be dead before she was.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Did you see this horrific story?

How does one recover from this if you were the mother? The father?

Do you recover?

Easy to place the blame, but nobody is a perfect parent. No parent deserves this to happen to their child no mater how poor their decision making.
      Yeah, my first reaction was to ask how the parents could allow that to happen, but i know how fast something like this can unfold. Tragic.

Re: recovering, i can't imagine that a parent could.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I told my daughter rather forcefully that this is why you never get to stand on a railing!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          Such a horrible tragedy. The dogs are my daughter's favorite exhibit. We have seen them so many times.

I don't understand how the mom (or anyone else) didn't jump down there to help the kid. If that was my kid, I'd be dead before she was.
          This. It's been my experience that parents mostly fall into 2 categories: Proactive and Reactive. Those who think about things before they do them and those who wait until a situation arises and then the act. my kid would never have sniffed the railing. Better safe than sorry when it comes to your kids safety. Second, should a situation arise where your kid is in danger-you get your ass in harms way to shield them and need be--sacrifice yourself to save them.

I don't know the particulars of this incident because there's no real clear account of what happened, but one thing is clear--Once the kid was in the exhibit-the parent froze. I can't imagine having to live with that kind of guilt for the rest of my life.

Sad, very sad.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Oddly enough, did you catch the names? The Mom's is Laurie... the kid's? Yep, Carl.
            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              I hate it when tragedy strikes and people immediately blame the victim(s).
              Mother...Two year old...falls into pit over a rail engineered to prevent such things from happening....stood there...did nothing but yell for help......Unless the kid jumped, was grabbed and thrown in, the railing broke or the mothers feet were nailed to the ground.

it's her fault.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

if the zoo didn't have animals this never would have happened.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  Between this and your comment in TWD season three thread, you've been quite prissy today bud. I quite like it. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    I am not happy that I laughed at this comment - but I did

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post

wow, I mean, just wow, how do you not jump down there, if not as soon as your kid falls, then once the dogs go after him
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Sorry, ElD, but the man is right. My kid goes in, I'm going in before he hits the ground. Something is very, very fu*cked up here.
                        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                          Sorry, ElD, but the man is right. My kid goes in, I'm going in before he hits the ground. Something is very, very fu*cked up here.
                          We are all men.
                          [/debate]

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                            We are all men.
                            [/debate]
                            I don't see that. Mama bear comes into play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                              I don't think there's anything nefarious here. Doig is probably right, mama panicked. Doesn't explain the innocent bystanders, but if I'm being totally honest, if my 2 year old daughter is standing next to me, I would have a moment of pause before going in there after someone else's kid. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do it. I probably would, but I honestly don't know, and I'd certainly think about it for a second first.

I'm not saying that mama could have done anything to save the kid. I'm not sure a 2-year old who survives gets over seeing mama/dada torn apart by dogs either. But at least they have a chance to try, and that's job #1 for me. So yes I would have gone over the rail, but I don't assume there's more behind this than just panic.

Comment

Working...
                              X