Major Exercise or National Emergency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Exercise or National Emergency?

Likely just some kind of big unnanounced exercise (we usually get notice so as not to start panics), but speaking as someone who lives between the White House, the Andrews AFB flight path and Fort Belvoir and on the Langley AFB-DC flight path, something is up this afternoon. There have been tons of Army & USMC helicopters racing back and forth, flights of obviously armed Apaches circling here south of DC, USAF F-16s & USN/MC F-18s overhead, etc. I've seen this twice-- on 9/11 and to a lesser extent the night the Shock & Awe campaign started. Flights of armed helicopter gunships with Kiowa scout choppers attendant, though, is just weird, only seen that once before a few months back, but figured that was some kind of a photo promo flight. Military copters are a daily, usually hourly, sight around here. This is something else.

Here's for hoping it's a drill.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

There was a plane hijacked this morning in Amsterdam. Maybe related?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      There was a plane hijacked this morning in Amsterdam. Maybe related?
      Looks like a false alarm.

Comment

I'm guessing it's some sort of major drill, as the President is actually speaking at a rally right now in Charlottesville. Just damned odd.
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
          I'm guessing it's some sort of major drill, as the President is actually speaking at a rally right now in Charlottesville. Just damned odd.
          It may just be a drill, it may be in reaction to something we haven't heard about yet, or it could be a photo-op type "I'm TOUGH" deal that just happens to coincide with the Republican convention. I vote for the first one, hope it isn't the second, but don't completely rule out the third.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            It may just be a drill, it may be in reaction to something we haven't heard about yet, or it could be a photo-op type "I'm TOUGH" deal that just happens to coincide with the Republican convention. I vote for the first one, hope it isn't the second, but don't completely rule out the third.
            1. Probably. 2. Probably not. 3. Give me a break.

Comment

I suspect it's a part of this exercise...

US Special Operations Command decided that downtown Minneapolis would be a perfect location for military games involving Black Hawk helicopters and dozens of troops.

Low-flying Black Hawk helicopters conducted military training exercises in downtown Minneapolis Monday night, hovering majestically outside of apartment windows of surprised local residents.

Some Minneapolis residents have taken videos of the Army’s utility helicopters as they passed over bridges, hovered outside their windows and flew over the city.

“Yep, that’s the view outside my window,” said one YouTube user as two of the giant vehicles stopped outside his 28thfloor window for 10 seconds before soaring down Marquette Ave.

The helicopters were on an urban environment training assignment ordered by the US Special Operations Command. The exercises will continue until early September, but the military is refusing to give out exact training locations to prevent crowds from gathering to watch.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

sheesh, you'd think that they'd at least inform the citizens of the city in question ... waking up on the 28th floor to find an armed Black Hawk hovering outside my window would be, well, a bit disconcerting.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Could well be, Horns, although that would be a surprising amount of coordination between USSOC and the other branches TG, they usually do which is why this struck me as so strange, especially after that dumb lowlevel photo op over lower Manhattan a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    sheesh, you'd think that they'd at least inform the citizens of the city in question ... waking up on the 28th floor to find an armed Black Hawk hovering outside my window would be, well, a bit disconcerting.
                    You Canadians are so jittery.

Comment

You Canadians Are So Jittery would be a good name for an American rock band.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        You Canadians are so jittery.
                        hey, you'd be jittery too if Oklahoma had a 28 story building.
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          hey, you'd be jittery too if Oklahoma had a 28 story building.
                          Or buildings at all

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            You Canadians Are So Jittery would be a good name for an American rock band.

That's a good shtick. Can I borrow it sometime?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              That's a good shtick. Can I borrow it sometime?
                              I think Apple holds the patent on it already.

Comment

Working...
                              X