unresponsive co-workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unresponsive co-workers

I can appreciate busy workloads for everyone, but how in the @#$@$ do you deal with colleagues that you constantly have to pester to get an answer from? I have several BIG issues out there since Thursday and I am still waiting to get an acknowledgment from the people on those projects at this time.

Given I'm the lucky one that gets to make the direct customer contact, I'm also the one blamed for the delayed responses.

advice?

I immediately assumed this was a Mith thread. Apologies.

Comment

Many moons ago I had a job were I was stuck on a team with 2 guys who basically didn't want to do any work. They had crazy ironclad contracts ... which meant they'd have murder someone to have a chance of getting fired. I didn't. So I was left with the option of doing all the work myself, or losing my job. I decided to use the time to find another job.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        I can appreciate busy workloads for everyone, but how in the @#$@$ do you deal with colleagues that you constantly have to pester to get an answer from? I have several BIG issues out there since Thursday and I am still waiting to get an acknowledgment from the people on those projects at this time.

Given I'm the lucky one that gets to make the direct customer contact, I'm also the one blamed for the delayed responses.

advice?
        Time to be an a$$hole?

Comment

is their blood sugar low? Give them a twinkie.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Copy yours adn their Direct Supervisors when asking for updates and document the number of times you have asked for the information....

Make your problem their problem, because their Manager doesnt want his staff being pointed at.... Your problem is not just your problem - it is everyone's problem.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              is their blood sugar low? Give them a twinkie.
              Are you giving out Twinkies? I want a Twinkie!
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Having sat on both sides of this fence, first as a technical support rep and then in sales, I'd say baldgriff is right after a certain point. As a technical support rep, we had good sales people - ones who gave clear requests and timelines for answers, and the "groaners" who gave requests for info that required cryptographic skills to decode and wanted answers yesterday. If you can provide your support team the answers to these three basic questions - What do I need? Why do I need it? By when do I need it? - then you've given them the potential to succeed.

Johnny makes a good point, too - are there specific types of requests they constantly fall down on? If so, it probably points to an individual or three who isn't able or willing to do what you need them to.

If you're sure the requests are clear and realistic, then baldgriff's solution comes into play.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Call 911

Comment

Slip a ghost pepper into their lunches...

Comment

Sic Bhob on them. Tell Bhob they're Red Sox fans.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I agree on "cc their supervisors" - at what point, you decide.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I actually deal with this issue almost everyday.

I call the individual on the phone so there is no paper trail. I tell them I need their help on the 2 or3 emails for the same request that I have sent to them. I tell them that it is an issue that is going to blow up and I didn't want them to be in the line of fire. If it is within their scope of getting it done my issue rises to the top.

Sometimes they grumble and say I don't care. At this time I say are you sure because your supervisor will be getting a call. So just make sure you have your self covered. We are a team and I do not want you getting in trouble.

This almost always gets me my answer.

Now the important part. Once I get my answer, I email their boss with a cc. to my boss telling them that so and so did a great job and helped me out of a jam (even if it was just doing their job as they put mine up front). This usually gets me my answers in a timely manner from then on in.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

I call the individual on the phone so there is no paper trail. I tell them I need their help on the 2 or3 emails for the same request that I have sent to them. I tell them that it is an issue that is going to blow up and I didn't want them to be in the line of fire. If it is within their scope of getting it done my issue rises to the top.

Sometimes they grumble and say I don't care. At this time I say are you sure because your supervisor will be getting a call. So just make sure you have your self covered. We are a team and I do not want you getting in trouble.

Now the important part. Once I get my answer, I email their boss with a cc. to my boss telling them that so and so did a great job and helped me out of a jam (even if it was just doing their job as they put mine up front). This usually gets me my answers in a timely manner from then on in.
                            I think this is a great answer. If you are dealing with halfway reasonable people, it should work just about every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

This is a very reasoned, tactical, well thought out, conciliatory way to solve the problem.

This is the opposite of how I would deal with it

Comment

Working...
                              X