GOP Convention Rules!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    Dear god. Parsing, wiggling, cheap theatrics in just trying to not get pinned. Chance as a microcosm of the Romney campaign. Now we've seen it all

Put down the rhetorical shovel, Chance, as all you're doing with this charade is proving the Democrats point about the intellectual dishonesty at the heart pf the Romney/Ryan campaign.
    As if parsing, wiggling, and/or cheap theatrics are strictly a Republican thing. We'll see more of the same in Charlotte, and you'll be praising the heck out of it, not because the Dems are any better than the Repubs, but because it's your party.

News flash--Both parties lie. Both parties wiggle. Both parties indulge in cheap and expensive theatrics. Both parties parse--does the phrase "define 'is'"mean anything to you? Both parties are mean-spirited and lacking in coherent strategy and realistic vision. Neither party has any desire beyond winning the next election. Neither party knows the first thing about compromise or working in the public interest. Neither party is evil--they're just banal.

And for the record, I'm a registered Democrat, so don't start with the "Republican tool" nonsense.

As for this thread, all you're doing here is pissing on each others' shoes, gentlemen.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

• Republican tool? No, just going to a default instead of thinking out in this case, Ray. Think about it-- what was the last time you saw an entire campaign built around three central lies-- "We Built It" taken from an intentional out of context word grab, eliminating the work requirement, and the Medicare lie? So, three lies that are by any definition the center of a campaign, then you add in this auto industry thing from a ticket whose head is getting killed in Ohio for not supporting the bailout? Really, Ray, you've seen this before? Actually, I don;t think you have to be honest because I think you may have a few years on me I sure as hell never have. Are there distortions, games, even lies in all campaigns? Sure seems like it. Have we ever seen one whose central pillars are lies? Have we, Ray? When? The best example I come up with wasn't an electoral campaign but a campaign noentheless, I suppose-- the Iraq is Building Nukes crap.

Know what? Want to know the cynical bullshlt behind this campaign of lies? Romney's team is counting on EXACTLY your attitude, "Oh, they all lie, this is not so bad". Do not be that dupe. This isn't a chicken in every pot puffery, it's not even "Read My Lips" flip floppery. This is a major candidate for President of the United States blatantly, unapologetically, baldly telling what he, you and me can clearly see to be lies and when he gets called on them... he doubles down on them. All I ask is that you think about that, Ray, think about if you've actually seen a guy who makes three central positions of his entire campaign up out of thin air, just pitches his tent on stakes of pure lies. Becuase honestly, I don't think you have.
      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        PolitiFact --- Ryan's claim is false. End of story.
        politifiction - never let facts get in the way
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• The Daily Show is an Emmy- and Peabody Award-winning program that looks at the day’s top headlines through a sharp, reality-based lens.

no exceptions or choices - hmm wait a minute

Comment

So this statement isn't going to get called out by the RJ community for the blatant racism that it is? Or is anyone going to try and defend it?
            gimme the context I must have missed it as I usually ignore RR unless he's attacking me personally.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              gimme the context I must have missed it as I usually ignore RR unless he's attacking me personally.
              The context was eld's racism shining through complaining about minority republicans being allow to speak at the convention.

Comment

• well,
                TAMPA, Fla. — Paul Ryan’s acceptance speech at the Republican convention contained several false claims and misleading statements. Delegates cheered as the vice presidential nominee: Accused President Obama’s health care law of funneling money away from Medicare “at the expense of the elderly.” In fact, Medicare’s chief actuary says the law “substantially improves” the system’s finances, and Ryan himself has embraced the same savings. Accused Obama of doing “exactly nothing” about recommendations of a bipartisan deficit commission — which Ryan himself helped scuttle.

"Paul Ryan’s acceptance speech at the Republican convention contained several false claims and misleading statements."

then it lists five, including:
                "Faulted Obama for failing to deliver a 2008 campaign promise to keep a Wisconsin plant open. It closed less than a month before Obama took office."

not sure if they say that one is "false" or "misleading."

"It’s true that the plant didn’t last another year, as Ryan said. In fact, the Business Journal in Milwaukee wrote that the assembly plant shut down on Dec. 23, 2008, at the tail end of the Bush administration, a victim of the financial crisis and dwindling demand for the SUVs produced at the plant. That’s nearly one month before Obama was sworn into office. About 100 workers were kept on in 2009 to finish a truck order and help shut down the plant, according to the Associated Press."
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Chris, guys like RotoRooter, CardboardBox... calling them out at this point is like responding to North Korean provocations, lol. Sure they make noise, move around and piss off everybody with a brain, but they're as intellectually powerless as a North Korean "ICBM" is militarily powerless to hit anything but the ocean two miles from the launch pad, and in many pieces at that Yes, RotoRooter says things that designate him as a racist bumblefuc*, but he's a racist bumblefuc* whom I think we can be pretty sure is totally ignored by everyone in his real life. Why give him a better life here? Call him on his crap once then let him bleat. Who among us whose opinion you would give a damn about do you think is being swayed by the prattlings of those guys?
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Chris, guys like RotoRooter, CardboardBox... calling them out at this point is like responding to North Korean provocations, lol. Sure they make noise, move around and piss off everybody with a brain, but they're as intellectually powerless as a North Korean "ICBM" is militarily powerless to hit anything but the ocean two miles from the launch pad, and in many pieces at that Yes, RotoRooter says things that designate him as a racist bumblefuc*, but he's a racist bumblefuc* whom I think we can be pretty sure is totally ignored by everyone in his real life. Why give him a better life here? Call him on his crap once then let him bleat. Who among us whose opinion you would give a damn about do you think is being swayed by the prattlings of those guys?
                    ElD

This
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lurker765 View Post
                      But you are saying that since he didn't save this one particular plant that he is lying? When he doesn't even have the specific authority to do that in the budget? Or that the President of the United States should be actively running GM instead of doing the job he was elected to do?
                      Question 1 - He failed to fulfill his campaign promise to Janesville, which is exactly what Ryan pointed out. As I've said from 2008, he's a Chicago-bred, cold-ass, politician. Now, as I noted earlier, I'm certainly not naif enough to realize that politicians from both parties are just as cold and fail on fulfilling promises, but usually they do so with issues that they know they don't have control over.
                      Question 2 - The Obama administration certainly did have the authority to retool the Janesville plant; they drove many things as part of the restructuring, including forcing Wagoner to resign (which I agreed 100% with), retooling some additional lines for Volt production and so on. They chose not to retool Janesville, which, again, as I noted, was probably a good business decision.
                      Question 3 - Obama providing leadership guidance over key issues during the transition certainly happened...I hope. I mean, if we're going to take a step as radical as taking over a major corporation and spend billions in taxpayer dollars to do so, I sure hope he had input into some of the high end decision making.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

So this statement isn't going to get called out by the RJ community for the blatant racism that it is? Or is anyone going to try and defend it?
                        I thought he was talking about GOP tax cuts for the rich
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Question 1
                          Question 4: When will Chancellor acknowledge that he's off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the fact that Ryan lied repeatedly in his speech about a number of subjects, has been called on them by just about every fact checking org out there, and that the Romney Campaign is basing central themes on things it knows to be lies?

Comment

Republican tool? No, just going to a default instead of thinking out in this case, Ray. Think about it-- what was the last time you saw an entire campaign built around three central lies-- "We Built It" taken from an intentional out of context word grab, eliminating the work requirement, and the Medicare lie? So, three lies that are by any definition the center of a campaign, then you add in this auto industry thing from a ticket whose head is getting killed in Ohio for not supporting the bailout? Really, Ray, you've seen this before? Actually, I don;t think you have to be honest because I think you may have a few years on me I sure as hell never have. Are there distortions, games, even lies in all campaigns? Sure seems like it. Have we ever seen one whose central pillars are lies? Have we, Ray? When? The best example I come up with wasn't an electoral campaign but a campaign noentheless, I suppose-- the Iraq is Building Nukes crap.

Know what? Want to know the cynical bullshlt behind this campaign of lies? Romney's team is counting on EXACTLY your attitude, "Oh, they all lie, this is not so bad". Do not be that dupe. This isn't a chicken in every pot puffery, it's not even "Read My Lips" flip floppery. This is a major candidate for President of the United States blatantly, unapologetically, baldly telling what he, you and me can clearly see to be lies and when he gets called on them... he doubles down on them. All I ask is that you think about that, Ray, think about if you've actually seen a guy who makes three central positions of his entire campaign up out of thin air, just pitches his tent on stakes of pure lies. Becuase honestly, I don't think you have.
                            I never said I was voting for Romney, did I? I've cast a useless third party vote before (1996) and I'm not afraid to do it again. Ryan certainly doesn't inspire me.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                              I never said I was voting for Romney, did I? I've cast a useless third party vote before (1996) and I'm not afraid to do it again. Ryan certainly doesn't inspire me.
                              I thought you liked Romney on Facebook?

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                                I didn't ask who you were voting for, Ray. I asked you to think about what I said, to ask yourself, as someone who isn't particularly aligned, if this campaign is "run of the mill" puffing or if it is basing itself on three or four tracks of absolute lies? Is this really unremarkable?

Comment

Working...
                                X