Leaving This World, Again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving This World, Again.

I find myself deeply touched by the loss of Neil Armstrong, an American hero who never saw himself as such. In an era when we use the word hero so quickly, perhaps we should use the self denial of the individual as the litmus test for true heroism.

Congratulations on you second voyage beyond Earth's lonely orbit, Mr. Armstrong, and on a life well and momentously lived.
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

I wish Neil could have seen the first human on mars in his lifetime. We basically went from the first powered flight to the moon in about 60 years, then stalled out for the next 40...
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I always wondered if he secretly wished he hadn't been the first. The fame never sat well with him.

RIP

Comment

I always liked the the approach the movie Hero (comedy not martial arts). LaPlant says to Bubber, "Uncomfortable is what youre supposed to be." "You're a nice guy. Do your Job."

I am old enough to remember the landing. The sound was awful, the picture worse, but the image was perfect and so was the line, "One small step for man. One giant leap for Mankind."

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Armstrong always insisted that he said, "one small step for A man" - which makes a helluva lot more sense. It's definitely what he meant to say, at any rate, and some of the technology now seems to support him having said just that.

Here's the 1969 NY Times story:

And today's obit (by the same author 43 years later, though it likely was written several years ago as is usually the case):
          Mr. Armstrong became a global hero when, as a steely-nerved pilot, he made “one giant leap for mankind” with a small step on the moon.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

that movie has some good quotes.

hmm, that gives me an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              Armstrong always insist that he said, "one small step for A man" - which makes a helluva lot more sense. It's definitely what he meant to say
              divine intervention?

..attempting to convert this into a religious thread.

Comment

so this week at the work place i think that everyone should use the phrase one small step for ____ one giant leap for ___, about everything. see how many times you can get away with it before your coworkers get mad.

Comment

Armstrong always insisted that he said, "one small step for A man" - which makes a helluva lot more sense. It's definitely what he meant to say, at any rate, and some of the technology now seems to support him having said just that.

Here's the 1969 NY Times story:

And today's obit (by the same author 43 years later, though it likely was written several years ago as is usually the case):
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/sc...n.html?_r=2&hp
                  That is how I always too it, hence "man" and "Mankind". But if you listen to the tape, he dropped the article.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

enhanced technology of the tape suggested he actually didn't drop it (just almost inaudible), but I don't think it will ever be clear.
                    we're stuck with the outtake, lol

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

the speech written for President Nixon had Armstrong and Aldrin been stranded:

Neil Armstrong, the first man to set foot on the moon, has passed away at the age of 82.

"Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice........"

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

the speech written for President Nixon had Armstrong and Aldrin been stranded:

Neil Armstrong, the first man to set foot on the moon, has passed away at the age of 82.

"Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice........"
                        good thing she decided not to listen to Nixon.

Comment

Working...
                        X