Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New show this fall.."Elementary"....WTF??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New show this fall.."Elementary"....WTF??

A reboot of Sherlock Holmes with Lucy Liu as Watson has me shaking my head.

Why is there a woman playing Watson? An Asian woman at that. Watson is a man. If they want to make a detective show set in London in the late 19th century with a male and female lead, don't try to sell me that it's Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Watson is a man.

I guess they are trying to be cute or something.

Edit: It's not even set in London????
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 08-14-2012, 01:47 PM.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Pointless gimmick reboot ... could never hope to match the quality of Sherlock

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post

Why is there a woman playing Watson? An Asian woman at that. Watson is a man. If they want to make a detective show set in London in the late 19th century with a male and female lead, don't try to sell me that it's Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Watson is a man.

Agreed... but they are making a detective show set in present day New York loosely based on the Sherlock Holmes short stories.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        probably right, but at least they are making more than 3 a year!
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

yep, my whole family loves the BBC Sherlock reboot, we even went and ate at Speedy's when we were in London. My daughter got two sunnyside up eggs and an order of fries, which is my new breakfast diner order if a place doesn't make hashbrowns.....
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Watson is a man.
            Was I the only one envisioning Austin Powers decking her and saying "She's a man, baby." ?

Comment

Edit: It's not even set in London????
              Apart from Rush, do you like anything?

Comment

So what you are saying is Watson is a man? Could you say it one more time, I might get figure it out then.

Did Starbuck being a woman bother you this much too? Why is it such a big deal?
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Pointless Gimmick would be a good name for a band. So would Gimmick Reboot.

Pointless Gimmick Reboot is too long.

Comment

Why can't a woman be Watson, you sexist pig!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      So what you are saying is Watson is a man? Could you say it one more time, I might get figure it out then.

Right. The gimmick of playing with the race, gender, time setting, or place setting of well-known fictional characters (and here they've managed to play with all four) isn't particularly new. Whether it works or not depends not on the setup but on the execution.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                        Why can't a woman be Watson, you sexist pig!
                        They should have just rebooted it with Katie Holmes and Emma Watson.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          They should have just rebooted it with Katie Holmes and Emma Watson.
                          I'd have watched it.

Comment

House MD was basically a Sherlock Holmes reboot also

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post

When did a woman portray the first mate of the Pequod?
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X