Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you been at your current job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you been at your current job?

I have been at the library for a little over 21 years.

It's my hometown library where my parents took me to storytime 45 years ago, so i have a very deep connection with the place.

I took over the directorship almost 2 years ago and hope that i can retire from this place.

it's the only real job i have had as an adult.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I've been in my current job for 16 years. I have almost 20 more before I can retire. I still love aspects of it, but some things about it are really getting me down and wearing me out.

Comment

almost 30 years at same company, but not at same job per se and not in same department or office or city
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

6 years and a week. Before that, I was at my last job for about 6 years and 3 months... that job was the first one I had out of college.

Comment

Almost 6 years here now. I am starting to get the same feeling about my industry as The Dane...I have been involved in this industry for 20 years (wow, hard to believe). It might be time for me to move on to something else. I have been thinking hard about it, but it's not so easy to change careers.

Comment

A little over 6 months.

I was in my previous job just over 3 years, and in that industry 16.5 years (9.5 years for one company, 5 years for another, 2 years for another). Although the hours were certainly easier in my old line of work, I don't miss it a bit. I didn't realize how stagnant I had become.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Been a small-business owner for the past 11 years.

Before that- 3 different corporate jobs, same industry, over 10 yrs.

Started my business late-summer 2001, right before 9/11. Terrible timing- as anyone who's been there will tell you, starting any business from scratch is rough, especially in the midst of a huge recession.

Put in a lot of 60-70 hr weeks, but we stayed afloat. And everyday when I drive home on a paved road, or mail a letter, I thank my lucky stars for the government- after all, they built my business, I didn't do it

Comment

7.5 yrs -- longest I've been anywhere

Comment

13 years here
                  17 years at my previous job

Comment

8 years teaching high school.

My previous high was 21 months at a graduate school. I spent 4 years teaching adults before going back to school for a teaching degree.

A poll would have been good here.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

12 years with the provincial government, 4 months in my current role/ministry.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

5 and a half years now. Can't say it's the most exciting job but it pays the bills and it's close to home which is important to me with two small kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          13 years here
                          17 years at my previous job
                          that's one tough abalone...
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Ten years, if we're not counting changes of title within the same office.

Comment

Almost 8 years now. Had 4 years previously with the same employer. Then made a 6 year "career change" that ended up being a mistake. Wish i would have stayed the first time. Then i would have had 18 years. Live and learn.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X