Oscar Pistorius and his prosthetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Pistorius and his prosthetics

Do others amputees have these? If not, why not?

It would seem every amputee should have/want these?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

They are special "sport" legs. Don't think they are designed for the average everyday use and they are probably expensive as hell.

A Global leader in orthopaedics, Össur employs the smartest minds and the most advanced technologies to help keep people mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Do others amputees have these? If not, why not?
      Balance with them is different than with standard prosthetics, and they're not ideal for many surfaces, especially if they're at all slippery.

I don't know for sure if Pistorius wears the cheetah legs only on the track, but in pictures I've seen of Pistorius off the track, he wears a more standard set of prosthetics a fair amount.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

if this is Photoshopped, I don't even know if I want to know

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I read there are quite a few guys who use these for running, just none as fast as this Pistorius. I also read they are only good for running, and that other types of devices are much better for everyday use.

That guy is amazing, by the way. I don't care if he's got a rocket hidden up his butt, that guy deserves to be there.

Comment

I will post information about this in 2 days. I have a two day lesson that I use in teaching engineering to 8th graders.

The question that we debate is "Should he compete or does he have an unfair advantage?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
              . I don't care if he's got a rocket hidden up his butt,
              You might not, but NASA might.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                I have a two day lesson that I use in teaching engineering to 8th graders.
                THIS should be an Olympic event....

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                  I will post information about this in 2 days. I have a two day lesson that I use in teaching engineering to 8th graders.

The question that we debate is "Should he compete or does he have an unfair advantage?"
                  I can't wait - I'd really enjoy seeing the results.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                  X